The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Submarine HMS E9

scottie dog

Hi, My grandfather David Christie was an engineer on HMS E9 during WW1. Beyond that I know very little and wonder if anyone can help provide more details of his service record, the crew, old photos of E9 etc. Anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Sheila

Hello Sheila,

Unlike the Army service records, many of the naval records were not subjected to the bombing raids of 1940, in which case there is a fairly good chance that you may find the information on David Christie on Ancestry.com. If you're not a subscriber then some kind soul who does have access may be able to check for you.

The National Archives (Kew) do not appear to have any log books relating to the submarine (only a cursory search) but they do appear to have some information on a 1917 grounding incident involving the H.M. Submarine E 9. If you live near Kew then the file number is: ADM 137/3468.

I've taken a quick look at Janes Fighting Ships and it says that E 9 was a war loss and was scuttled in the Baltic. It doesn't say when but it could be related to the 1917 mishap as the grounding of the E 19 is also included in the report at Kew, and Janes also lists that submarine as a war loss.

Hope this will serve as a useful start,

Simon.

That's good start. Thanks very much Simon.

Hello Sheila,

Unlike the Army service records, many of the naval records were not subjected to the bombing raids of 1940, in which case there is a fairly good chance that you may find the information on David Christie on Ancestry.com. If you're not a subscriber then some kind soul who does have access may be able to check for you.

The National Archives (Kew) do not appear to have any log books relating to the submarine (only a cursory search) but they do appear to have some information on a 1917 grounding incident involving the H.M. Submarine E 9. If you live near Kew then the file number is: ADM 137/3468.

I've taken a quick look at Janes Fighting Ships and it says that E 9 was a war loss and was scuttled in the Baltic. It doesn't say when but it could be related to the 1917 mishap as the grounding of the E 19 is also included in the report at Kew, and Janes also lists that submarine as a war loss.

Hope this will serve as a useful start,

Simon.

Naval records aren't on Ancestry, you need to look at the Navy section of DocumentsOnline on The National Archives' website. Assuming he was an engineer officer, this http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7931934 may be a possibilty. Otherwise, there are these seamen http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=first_name%3ddavid%7clast_name%3dchristie&catid=15&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*

Thanks John....especially for the photo. Sheila

Hi Sheila

E9 was scuttled in Helingfors Bay, Finland, to avoid capture (3.4.18)

post-166-0-45500300-1329253521.jpg

Hope this helps

Regards John

David thanks for the links. I'll be searching right away.

Naval records aren't on Ancestry, you need to look at the Navy section of DocumentsOnline on The National Archives' website. Assuming he was an engineer officer, this http://www.nationala...Edoc_Id=7931934 may be a possibilty. Otherwise, there are these seamen http://www.nationala...=1&mediaarray=*

Actually, I forgot that Ancestry do have the naval medal rolls. Also worth checking those

Scottie dog,

You may also want to visit the site below as E9 was mentioned in dispaches for its actions on the Enemy's Coast in the Heligoland Bight

On the 6th October, "E.9" (Lieutenant-Commander Max K. Horton), when patrolling off the Ems, torpedoed and sank the enemy's destroyer, "S.126."

Cheers G

Shiela,

is this him, if so not an E9 man, L8 was his girl.

Christie, David Fiddes, RNVR Z/7149 & K32353, Stoker 1st Class

He joined Dolphin & Submarine mid 1918 after E9 was gone.

I have all the crew lists for E9 when she got into the Baltic, when the Russian awards were handed out twice in 1915 and there is no Christie amoung them.

Cheers DB

Darren thanks for that. It's back to the drawing board I think!! Thanks to others who contributed. Sheila

Shiela,

is this him, if so not an E9 man, L8 was his girl.

Christie, David Fiddes, RNVR Z/7149 & K32353, Stoker 1st Class

He joined Dolphin & Submarine mid 1918 after E9 was gone.

I have all the crew lists for E9 when she got into the Baltic, when the Russian awards were handed out twice in 1915 and there is no Christie amoung them.

Cheers DB

Darren I've now got a lead suggesting he was on the submarine J6 with Commander Horton. Would you (or anyone else) by any chance have crew lists of J6 which might confirm this?? Thanks in anticipation. Sheila

Darren thanks for that. It's back to the drawing board I think!! Thanks to others who contributed. Sheila

Darren I've now got a lead suggesting he was on the submarine J6 with Commander Horton. Would you (or anyone else) by any chance have crew lists of J6 which might confirm this?? Thanks in anticipation. Sheila

If that is him i have suggested, then no way he was with Horton in J6, his papers only show he was in L8.

Hello Sheila, here are two awards to crew of E9 - more if required.

Now sadly a negative ; after searching my file I cannot find a David Christie - neither in ratings file or officers & there is only one Christie in Nominal Lists & that is a Andrew Christie. As you say you have his service record could you post it here ??

Sadsac

Darren my grandfather was plain and simple David Christie so not him. THX

If that is him i have suggested, then no way he was with Horton in J6, his papers only show he was in L8.

Hi Shiela,

i just checked through the RN Medal Rolls, and to back up Sadsac, the only one is the one I gave you, there are 2 Ordinary Seaman & 1 Able Seaman. What year was he born?

There is one lead which fits the bill as i have just looked at the RNR Medal Rolls, i have no idea if he was in submarines so maybe he was & maybe he could be in E9, but it would be from 1917 onwards only, but there is a David Christie, ERA Royal Navy Reserve, Number EA1236

Also checked the RNVR Medal Rolls, only 2 Able Seamans with this name.

Darren

My grandfather was born in 1881. My brother has been sifting through family papers at his end and these seem to indicate that my grandfather served on submarine J6 as well as HMS Arctic Whale (not sure what type of vessel this was). Can you shed any more light? Meantime your efforts really are appreciated. Sheila

Hi Shiela,

i just checked through the RN Medal Rolls, and to back up Sadsac, the only one is the one I gave you, there are 2 Ordinary Seaman & 1 Able Seaman. What year was he born?

There is one lead which fits the bill as i have just looked at the RNR Medal Rolls, i have no idea if he was in submarines so maybe he was & maybe he could be in E9, but it would be from 1917 onwards only, but there is a David Christie, ERA Royal Navy Reserve, Number EA1236

Also checked the RNVR Medal Rolls, only 2 Able Seamans with this name.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

E9 was scuttled near the Harmaja lighthouse not far from Helsinki (Helsingfors). In a way the Germans got her after all as a German company Beckedorf Gebrüder lifted her in 1953 for scrap metal.

Morpheus

Hi Sheila

E9 was scuttled in Helingfors Bay, Finland, to avoid capture (3.4.18)

post-166-0-45500300-1329253521.jpg

Hope this helps

Regards John

• 2 years later...

My Grandfather, Frederick Bown, served on E9 in the Baltic. With the help of the Submarine Museum I have researched his service. Also served on D6 with Max Horton then after returning from Russia survived the sinking of K17 at May Island. Would like to hear from anyone else.

Hi All,

There is a typo in post #9. The enemy destroyer that E9 sank on 6 Oct '14 was S116 not S126.

Source: German Warships 1815-1945 Volume One: Major Surface Vessels by Erich Groner.

Revised and expanded byDieter Jung and Martin Maass,

This typo is every where on the internet. Goggle S126 then Goggle S116.

Respectfully,

Joe R