The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mesopotamia Campaign

Johno7439

Since New Year I have developed a keen interest in the Mesopotamia campaign.Having just finished reading The First Iraq War - Britain's Mesopotamia Campaign ( AJ Barker) and having already read Kut 1916, Courage and Failure in Iraq (Patrick Crowley), does anybody have any further reading suggestions on the Mespot campaign?

All suggestions gratefully recieved!

Ewan

Ewan

There is a large 4 volume work on the Campaign in Mesopotamia 1914-1918 with the Naval and Military Press,but quite expensive.I have copied some excerpts in the NA Library at Kew,and it is a very thorough and detailed account of the campaign. You might get to find one in a Library near you !

Sotonmate

Thanks for the books mentioned as my great granfather served with 1st Seaforths. So I can read about what happened there.

Glad that this topic has been raised again. Sort of gets overlooked and the hardships that the British and Indian soldiers endured must have been horrific., particularly after the seige of Kut ended.

I am particularly interested in the attempts by the Royal Flying Corp to provision Kut by air. Are the aforementioned books worth consulting in this respect ? Regards, Michael Bully.

Thanks chaps for the recommendations! I served in Iraq in 2003, and it wasn't until I started taking an interest in the Mespot campaign that I realised I had been where the troops had gone before me.

Archives.org has a number of books that deal with Mespot in WW I incleding: In the Skies above Baghdad, and one book that deals with a british officer captured at Kut who manages to escape that i can't remember the name of.

A.J Barkers Book was printed earlier on as both "The Neglected War (UK) and The ******* War (US) (I am not making this up)

There are also the books "The siege" and "Kut Death of An Army" which are not as good as the above

also on the net is the book The Revolt in Mesopotamia" by Haldane (Ithink this is the title it was mentioned on this site)

Just wanted to point out that The First Iraq War 1914-1918: Britain's Mesopotamian Campaign by A. J. Barker is a new edition of Neglected War. It has a new introduction by Joseph Morrison Skelly but is otherwise the same as the original.

The title of the US edition, which the anti-profanity checker has converted to ****** in James's post above, claimed that the war, rather than being Neglected, had parents who were not married to each other.

General James Aylmer Haldane was GOC Mesopotamia after the war. His The Insurrection in Mesopotamia deals with the 1920 uprising rather than the war.

I would be interested in this campaign too as a man I am researching I believe was wounded at Beit Assra and I assume he was amongst those supplied from the air

bu the RFC. If any of these books specifically mention Connaught Rangers I would be interested to know.

Liam