The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

France: Obligatory Breath Test Kits

Seadog

Perhaps this may help:

1.0 ALL drivers are subject to the new law

2.0 The one-use kits must conform to the NF French standard (See post 3)

3.0 The results given by the kits will no doubt be for indicative purposes only and as is normal practice will I think carry appropriate disclaimers. You will be aware that here in the UK the breathalyzers carried by the traffic police are also for indicative purposes only and further tests are carried out on an approved evidential machine.

4.0 The French Police will be obviously empowered to check vehicles for evidence that the mandatory kit is carried, after all how do you tell by just looking at a car whether the drivers drinks?.

Yes if you drive in France you will be expected to conform to their road traffic laws as you are in the UK.

Norman

But, at the end of l'ay if you want to drive in France, I guess you have to abide by their laws - however stupid, misguided and ill-conceived

Quite. A few posters on this thread appear to have missed the point that the French (withing EU limits, of course) are free to pass whatever laws they wish, and if the Gendarmes wish to make a few Euros by catching dim British tourists, why not?

And why does everyone assume I was joking? I think this thread should be in Classic Threads.

Will this law also apply to coach and HGV drivers?

Bruce

Will this law also apply to coach and HGV drivers?

Bruce

Which bit of "ALL drivers are subject to the new law" is causing you confusion?

I was interested to discover the following BAC Limits (milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood)

20 For the Air and Rail limit plus Irish Republic Professional Driver limit.

50 For the Irish Republic and European Driver

80 For ALL UK Drivers.

The 20 BAC limit is extremely low less that half the French limit and only a quarter of the UK limit.

Regards

Norman

Norman

I might be wrong, but something tells me that this might, just might, be a subject that interests you.:whistle:

Roger

Yes Roger. I think that Norman has a slight interest in the subject.:rolleyes:

Hopefully my parcel will arrive au demain!

I think what came as news to me was the current Republic of Ireland drink-driving limits which only came into force in October 2011. Many visitors from the UK drive in Ireland and I am willing to bet that very few of them are cognizant of the present law being familiar as they are with the much higher UK limit and of course they may be using self-testing equipment that is calibrated for the UK only.

Link

Regards

Norman

Whatever might or might not be on topic in this thread, drink-driving limits in Ireland certainly aren't

moped riders are exempt

the French also have a law since January 1, 2010 requiring all new coaches carrying nine or more kids under 18 to be fitted with breathalysers that control the ignition. This follows fatal accidents to school buses when the driver was found to have been drinking. I have no idea if this applies to UK school trips -- is anyone who does such trips aware of this?

cheers Martin B

Hi,

the French also have a law since January 1, 2010 requiring all new coaches carrying nine or more kids under 18 to be fitted with breathalysers that control the ignition

You're right Martin, and it will probably be the case in the future for the minibuses as well (1 to 9 seats), so all the vehicles transporting passengers will be fitted.

It's funny , there's already 6 pages on this thread about this new French law... it seems that the UK drivers are more concerned than us about it !

Sly

Norman

I might be wrong, but something tells me that this might, just might, be a subject that interests you.:whistle:

Roger

Wait till they introduce compulsory breath tests in Downton Abbey ...

As there are over 135 posts on this thread I apolgise if I am repeating someone's post. At the Eurotunnel in Folkestone last week I asked at the AA desk if they would be stocking the kit to enable us to arrive in France equiped. They said the AA had not yet resolved all the 'legal issues involved' so they wouldn't be stocking them yet.

Mike

this thread did not begin on April 1st, 0001 until 1200, but has exactly that just-believable je ne sais quoi cachet of that genre. N'est pas?

Yes if you drive in France you will be expected to conform to their road traffic laws as you are in the UK.

Gentlemen - hats off. We are in the presence of genius.

It's a shame that 'Classic Threads' doesn't have a 'Classic Comedy' sub-thread.

If you drive in France, buy one and stick it in the Glove box. Better yet, buy two.

If you don't want the Gendarmes to stop you on suspicion stick one on the inside of your windscreen with a suction cap, have a French flag waving from the top of it and backlight it, so they can see that you have one.

Learn the Marseillaise until you are word perfect. Have it blaring out of your open car windows as you hurtle down the A26 from Calais, singing lustily as you go.

Practise saying 'Oui, mon Capitaine' in flawless un-accented French. So that if you are stopped anyway you can prove how much you love France and respect their Police. Who are not Anglo-hating fascist thugs out to make a quick buck from unsuspecting tourists, they are just enforcing their Laws. Shame that we didn't take the time to understand that they do things differently across the Channel (and that this is quite legal).

Has anyone seen the recent thread about tourists complaints to their tour operator, after returning from a holiday that they hadn't enjoyed?

I particularly enjoyed the one about going to Goa, but not liking curries and spicy foods, and the one about Spain being populated by Spanish-speaking Spanish foreigners who didn't serve proper beer.

We ought to link that thread to this one. Both are Fawlty-esque.

Simon.

I understood that in France all that was required was to give a V sign, the friendly way round, and say very slowly " Winston Churchill General De Gaulle OK " when dealing with the authorities.

Keith

I think I'll get my coat now before I am reprimanded.

There was an article in my local paper about this, today.

They asked the Prefet some questions and he had to say he had no idea how the law was to be applied as they had had no information about it.

Sorry Keith I was labouring under the misapprehension that death, injury and mutilation as a result of drink-driving was a serious issue and as such I foolishly expected a serious response from all those contributing to this thread.

Regrets

Norman

I suppose you should be grateful that we haven't had a move towards refusing to drive on the right when in France

I understood that in France all that was required was to give a V sign, the friendly way round, and say very slowly " Winston Churchill General De Gaulle OK " when dealing with the authorities.

And in no time you will be introduced to a nice lady in a beret, mac and white socks (pay attention to her as she does not repeat herself) and eventually you will be smuggled over the mountains and into Spain!

I'm secretly impressed that we have taken six pages to discuss the fact that Johnny Foreigner has introduced a law which applies - shock horror - to the British.

Carry on.

It's a shame that 'Classic Threads' doesn't have a 'Classic Comedy' sub-thread.

If you drive in France, buy one and stick it in the Glove box. Better yet, buy two.

If you don't want the Gendarmes to stop you on suspicion stick one on the inside of your windscreen with a suction cap, have a French flag waving from the top of it and backlight it, so they can see that you have one.

Learn the Marseillaise until you are word perfect. Have it blaring out of your open car windows as you hurtle down the A26 from Calais, singing lustily as you go.

Practise saying 'Oui, mon Capitaine' in flawless un-accented French. So that if you are stopped anyway you can prove how much you love France and respect their Police. Who are not Anglo-hating fascist thugs out to make a quick buck from unsuspecting tourists, they are just enforcing their Laws. Shame that we didn't take the time to understand that they do things differently across the Channel (and that this is quite legal).

Has anyone seen the recent thread about tourists complaints to their tour operator, after returning from a holiday that they hadn't enjoyed?

I particularly enjoyed the one about going to Goa, but not liking curries and spicy foods, and the one about Spain being populated by Spanish-speaking Spanish foreigners who didn't serve proper beer.

We ought to link that thread to this one. Both are Fawlty-esque.

Simon.

That flawless, accentless French would definitely get the flics suspicious, Simon. They'd hand you over to the Surete right away as a spy.

Absolutely correct I could not agree with you more. This is a very silly thread but as long as gives us all a good laugh well then that really is all that matters isn’t it? In the meantime here is a very serious thread which I am sure you will all find very interesting.

Very seriious thread

Stats

207 Posts

Ha ha ha :D

Regards

Norman