The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

France: Obligatory Breath Test Kits

Seadog

Thanks Martin,

As more people are made aware of the impending changes and motoring organisations and trade bodies start asking questions, hopefully we will get clarification. The French Embassy certainly seemed confused.

The same Actu24 article also reminded the reader of the need for winter tyres in Luxembourg from next winter (1st October 2012)

As more people are made aware of the impending changes and motoring organisations and trade bodies start asking questions, hopefully we will get clarification. The French Embassy certainly seemed confused.

The whole thing does have the feel of Le Petit President firing from the hip and catching the bureaucracy on the hop. One wonders what Le Petit Corporal would have thought about it but then he didn't have to win elections.

...The whole thing does have the feel of Le Petit President firing from the hip and catching the bureaucracy on the hop.

As in this seems a fine example of a 'Hard case equals bad law'?

Trajan

How about we all boycott France?

The following on board:

No baby

No radar warning devices

2 x hi-vis tabards

First Aid Kit

Light bulb kit

Fire extinguisher

2 x warning triangles

2 x breathalyser

shovel

and its not true about the kukri

you forgot

1 brown sealed envelope containing 90E to pay off spot fine to John Dam or have car impounded immediatemont :blush:

(Been there; done that!)

Shame about the kukri

Thanks Martin,

The same Actu24 article also reminded the reader of the need for winter tyres in Luxembourg from next winter (1st October 2012)

I and everyone else in Luxembourg is baffled by this one.

The government says it applies to everyone driving in the country, but as so many just pass through,is it intended to apply to them. Given the number of Dutch driving through with their caravans and those who cross the borders only to fill up it is going to be interesting to see what happens.

I took my car for a service last week and asked what the new law was. They looked at me, thought for a bit and then said, "well it's OK as long as your tyres have this mark on them." As far as I could gather they were a bit baffled and the mark seemed to be for all weather tyres. In any case, why I should need winter tyres on my 4 x 4 I really don't know. The thought of having to store a set of tyres for my car and another set for my wife's car is daunting to say the least.

I remember, when doing some work in Luxembourg many years ago, being told that there was a stretch of road where one side was in Luxembourg and the other was not. If this is the case do you have to change your tyres depending on the direction in which one is travelling?

Or perhaps you have to drive down the middle of the road with one kind of tyre on the nearside and another on the offside, it would all become very confusing if driving a British car when presumably you would have to drive backwards.

Or perhaps you have to drive down the middle of the road with one kind of tyre on the nearside and another on the offside, it would all become very confusing if driving a British car when presumably you would have to drive backwards.

But you'd still have to swap them over depending on which direction you were going

Sorry cent; but are you suggesting that the left's going in one direction and the right in another? You're not a camber gambler by any chance?

I've just finished watching the frog news &,apparently,there's no need to worry if you don't have bad breath.

Don't forget to floss.

there's no need to worry if you don't have bad breath.

Another excuse for filling the car with smelly cheese :thumbsup:

I remember, when doing some work in Luxembourg many years ago, being told that there was a stretch of road where one side was in Luxembourg and the other was not. If this is the case do you have to change your tyres depending on the direction in which one is travelling?

Yes, the village of Martelange. The people in Brussels who laid down where the Belgian-Luxembourg border should be made a mistake and instead of the river they marked the road on the map. The frontier actually runs down the gutter on the Luxembourg side of the road. So, the Luxembourg side of the road is lined with filling stations.

I hadn't thought of it, but yes, in theory people filling up need winter tyres, and those just driving down the road don't.

Usual political ..... up.

Incidentally, this is not the only place like this. There is one place in Belgium where the people simply climb over a barrier in the road to go shopping at cheaper supermarkets in Holland.

Then, there's the train that meanders back and forth between Belgium and Germany (once a min line, now a tourist line), where there is a treaty that says that when the train is in Germany all announcements have to be made in German and when in Belgium - the German speaking part! all announcements are in French.

The following on board:

No baby

No radar warning devices

2 x hi-vis tabards

First Aid Kit

Light bulb kit

Fire extinguisher

2 x warning triangles

2 x breathalyser

shovel

A question - I reckon I would have to be quite a competent mechanic to change any exterior bulb on my car - and I think this is true of most modern cars, with complete units etc etc. Then there are those sticky hings for the headlights - it used to be fairly straightforward, now no one seems to have the foggiest where to put the things. It seems to me that we are being asked to carry an ever increasing list of things for no good purpose or it is obsolete - I am half surprised they do now want us to have a little red flag and a man to walk in front of us waving it.

Fully agree, Nigel. Apparently it is possible on my car (and I am sure many others) to throw a small switch built into the headlight assembly that converts the beam for driving on the right ... but you are advised not to do this yourself (due to the high voltages or something)and have it done at a dealer. Then switch it back again when you get home! The idea of changing a bulb for fix a defective headlight is laughable these days.

The following on board:

No baby

No radar warning devices

2 x hi-vis tabards

First Aid Kit

Light bulb kit

Fire extinguisher

2 x warning triangles

2 x breathalyser

shovel

[/quote

A question - I reckon I would have to be quite a competent mechanic to change any exterior bulb on my car - and I think this is true of most modern cars, with complete units etc etc. Then there are those sticky hings for the headlights - it used to be fairly straightforward, now no one seems to have the foggiest where to put the things. It seems to me that we are being asked to carry an ever increasing list of things for no good purpose or it is obsolete - I am half surprised they do now want us to have a little red flag and a man to walk in front of us waving it.

And if a headlight bulb blows have it fixed by a garage on the continent: 1/2 the price for labour compared with UK ...... given that you should already own the correct bulb. That was my experience in Ieper a couple of years ago, man did it there and then, no cobblers about appointments and minimum charge one hour ..... up with the bonnet, 5 minutes fiddling around in the nethers, gripped new bulb, inserted, restored entrails, closed bonnet, and trousered 15 euros ..... my previous, in my official UK garage, £30 and the waste of a morning. Only two examples but.

• 3 weeks later...

I hesitate to fan any flames or revive anxieties, but I thought people might be reassured to know that these little devices are readily available in the shops. I bought a packet of two for 2€ in a small neighbourhood Intermarché last week along with my normal purchases. They were near the headlamp bulbs, hanging in-car air fresheners, screen wash, nodding dogs, etc.

Oh, and I wasn't stopped once by the police. Anywhere.

Gwyn

I bought a packet of two for 2€ in a small neighbourhood Intermarché ...

Quelque chose pour le week-end, Madame ...? :innocent:

Quelque chose pour le week-end, Madame ...? :innocent:

Mais non, Monsieur! :o J'ai fait une étude de marché. :hypocrite: J'essayais seulement de me rendre utile!

This is another formaldéhyde joke,isn't it.

• 3 weeks later...

Post Script

My AlcoSense 12 pack still hasn't arrived. I've rescinded the order and am awaiting my money back. Apparently three packages were despatched in total - though non arrived.

Bahh oui! Fraimont; ce comme ca! Zut alors!

Anyone contemplating a trip to France after July 2012 is probably already aware that if stopped by the French Police and asked to produce a NF (approved) breathalyser that the penalty for not having one in the car is an on the spot fine of 11 Euro. What you may not be aware of is that there is a period of "grace" upto November 2012 where if you do not have a breathalyser in the car you will be told of the requirement to carry one and sent on your way. After November 2012 you will be fined.

The NF approved breathalysers are freely available at pharmacies, car shops, bar tabac and some supermarkets in France and have a shelf life of 2 years, they cost 1 euro per unit.

I have noticed that Halfords are charging £4.99 for 2 breathalyser units, be aware that the cross channel ports are rumoured to be charging £6.00.

The charge for not having a breathalyser is only 11 euro if you are stopped and challenged and the fine is only going to be imposed in November with warnings issued from July to November.

I hope this helps anyone who is considering travelling to France and the Battlefields this summer.

Enjoy your trip

Graham B)

I don't eally have a problem with this law, in fact I think it is a good idea. But where can I conveniantly get a breath tester from? Not noticed them in the supermarket this week.

Guy

I don't eally have a problem with this law, in fact I think it is a good idea. But where can I conveniantly get a breath tester from? Not noticed them in the supermarket this week.

Guy

Guy,

If you noice my ealier post you can purchase them in England (if you don't mind paying over the odds) at Halfords or at the ferry ports, personally I would buy them in France at a bar tabac, supermarket or pharmacy

Enjoy your trip