The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SDGW

Aurel Sercu

I have just had a printing problem with SDGW and I really didn't know how to solve it. Maybe some of you have had the same ?

I wanted to have a list of all men who had resided in what I thought was some small village. (It was Tooting, Surrey.) I had expected a handful, but to my amazement Tooting must be some metropolis ! For I found more than 700 !

The problem was when I wanted to print them, expecting approx. 30 pages. All went well until my printer had finished the men A-H (15 pages). And then : no more printing, for there was a message :

"Call to handlers are nested too deeply. Try making fewer nested calls."

I remembered I had had that message some months ago too, and again it was related to wanting to print a (too ?) long list.

I really didn't (and don't) know what this message meant. What made it worse was that nothing on the screen appeared clickable, and I had to switch off the pc in the wrong way (Reset) and start all over again, including the search (time-consuming !). I undertook this procedure three times, unsuccessfully each time and did not feel happy about it. :angry:

Question : How can one "make fewer nesting calls" ???

To be honest, I have since solved my problem in what may be an unorthodox and primitive way. I started my search again, for the rest of the alphabet, first the letter I, then J, then K down to Z. This was not really fun either...

I do not want to have the same problem again. Has anyone else had that problem ? How did you solve it ? Or is it something related to my pc and/or printer ?

Aurel

Aurel

There was a thread on this a few months ago. I had the same problem, had the same message couldn't clear screen had to turn of the computer. I cured it by printing out a year at a time.

Regards Doug

Thanks, Doug.

Actually I hadn't thought of using the Search machine.

I will right now, and if I find it I will post the link.

(If any other forum member remembers where that thread was ...)

Aurel

I wanted to have a list of all men who had resided in what I thought was some small village. (It was Tooting, Surrey.) I had expected a handful, but to my amazement Tooting must be some metropolis ! For I found more than 700 !

Aurel,

Not that this is anything to do with your problem, but I had to have a smile when I read 'small village and Tooting!!!'

Although not the metropolis you mention, Tooting is in London, I beleive it's in the borough of Merton (sort of South West London)

Aurel

There is a known problem with printing over 360 records from SDGW version 1.1.

There is a fix for this problem which can be obtained from this web page. Its at the bottom of the page.

However the 'fix' does not work with Windows XP. The good news is that a new version of SDGW (version 2) - which is XP compatible - is imminent. This was confirmed to me by e-mails from N&MP on 22 June this year.

hope this is of help

Mike S

Thanks, Mike and Doug

(And for your email off Forum, Mike)

And my apologies for not having searched the Forum thoroughly first, and not having seen that the issue had already been raised in February. (Actually I sometimes am slightly irritated because some people apparently do not take the trouble to use the Forum search engine, but now I have to blame myself...)

Steve,

Sorry for having thought that Tooting was a village, and not a semi-metropolis. <_<

Actually I think there is someting suspicious about Tooting. A few days ago when my contact mentioned it in his email, my Mailwasher marked it as "Filtered - Will be deleted". I have never known why, but as I have installed a filter marking dirty messages from people assuming i am in desperate need of a p*nis enlargement and an overdose of v**gra, I think it must be related to it. However my dictionary didn't really help me out. But there may be something my dictionary doesn't want me to know. (My apologies to all decent and other Tooting people reading this and who may feel that I am discrediting them.)