The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

information on ww1 soldier jt goor

Guest thwaitey2004

Guest thwaitey2004

if anyone has any information or could tell me where to find some about my relative jt goor killed on 13/10/1918. 1st battallion lincolnshire regiment. service no 202298. buried at glageon communal cemetary extension. please let me know. thankyou.

Do you have any more info you can add on your relative-

first name,age,year born,where born,parents?

Might help in a search!

gordon

Info from Soldiers Died.

Born, Kirton End, Lincs.

Enlisted, Boston, Lincs.

His M.I.C. Roll is also available on line.

Regards, Chris.

From the 1891 Census I found this:

gordon

Name Age in 1891 Birthplace Relationship to head-of-house Civil parish County

Goor, Alfred 4 Kirton, Lincolnshire Son Kirton Lincolnshire

Goor, Frank 13 Kirton, Lincolnshire Son Kirton Lincolnshire

Goor, John 10 Kirton, Lincolnshire Son Kirton Lincolnshire

Goor, John Thomas 65 Leverton, Lincolnshire Head Kirton Lincolnshire

Goor, Mary Ann 9 Kirton, Lincolnshire Daughter Kirton Lincolnshire

Goor, Rebecca 45 Marcham le fen, Lincolnshire Wife Kirton Lincolnshire

Goor, Robert 7 Kirton, Lincolnshire Son Kirton Lincolnshire

Hello,

I would guess that JT Goor is remembered on Bostons War Memorial near the Post Office? If that is so, try and get your hands on a copy of "A Town Remembers Those Commemorated on the Boston War Memorial: The First World War"- its in two volumes, by Dr William Hunt, and lists brief biographical details of men from Boston and surrounding villages who died in the Great War (435 out of the c6000 Bostonians who enlisted). There are copies in the local library- if you are not local I'd be glad to look him up (I'm an ex local but do go back to visit the folks regularly).

As to which battle he may have died in- without a regimental history in front of me I'm not too sure- but would hazard a guess at 'The Pirsuit to the Selle'- 9th to 12th October- or possible subsequent actions before The Battle of the Selle? In Glageon there are several 13/10/18 deaths from various regts including another 1/Lincs man.

Regards

Richard

Glageon Communal Cemetery Extension was used by the Germans for burials of POW's between August and October 1918 so it's possible he died of wounds in enemy hands.

Bob.

Guest thwaitey2004

thankyou everyone for your information. i will now start to look into it more myself but if anyone could still let me know any information or where to find it i will be extremely grateful. thanks again.

Hi,

John's original Lincolns service number was 5792, as this is included on his MIC it would suggest that he served overseas with the 4th Lincolns prior to the territorial renumbering of 1917.

I don't have exact info but would suggest that John joined the 4th Lincolns in mid to late 1916. At some stage post 1917 he would have transfered to the 1st battalion.

Jim