The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A tale of two soldiers, 15-09-16

David_Bluestein

I am very pleased to have in my care the medals to a man, who by extension helps me feel a little closer to my great uncle killed at the Somme.

His medals were lost from my family many years before I was born, there where abouts forever unknown. He was,

Pte. Samuel Bluestein 1st Bn. London Regt (TF) Royal Fusiliers was killed during the attack on Bouleaux Wood on September 15, 1916. He was 26 years of age. His parents held out hope for many years to come that there was a mistake and Sam would some day walk through the door. Samuel is one of the reasons I have such a strong fascination in the Great War.

See below the medals awarded to 2166 Pte. Arthur George Thomas 1st Bn. London Regt (TF) Royal Fusiliers.

Arthur was killed in the same action, on the same day and in the same regiment as my great uncle. They may have actually know each other?

Sadly Samuel's remains were never recovered and Arthur found a resting place at La Neuville British Cemetery.

post-1-1091643997.jpg

Very nice, David. Thanks for posting the photo.

Hello David!

Just got back from work and saw your post. My great great uncle's story is sadly similar to yours. Private Thomas Huffer was killed on September 12th 1916, whilst serving with the 1/3rd Battalion London Regiment around Leuze Wood on the Somme. His body was never recovered either, and my great nan (his sister) always thought he might one day turn up, shellshocked or with amnesia. Interestingly enough, his regimental number was 3011, but on his mic it shows that in early 1917 he was given a new number when the territorials were renumbered, which confirms he was "missing", later presumed dead. Just goes to show that where service records haven't survived, mics can give a fair amount of info for such a little card!

It's nice that you've found a group that brings you that little bit nearer to your great uncle, and you have given the medals a good home in the process.

All the best,

Tony