The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British army cap badges 20th Cent.

Muerrisch

Avoid at all costs, not much good even to prop up a wonky chair.

I was tempted to buy this book by a massive discount from Naval & Mil. A fool and his money were parted.

It is, quite frankly, dreadful.

Many of the ills. are not of cap badges, various assorted cloth trade, arm of service fill many pages. The author clearly knows little of these: the "light bulb" parachute is described as "the market for ..... scarcely diminished". The Geneva Cross RAMC badge is shown as a saltire ...... never ever seen such a thing.

Regarding cap badges, the book is a meandering jumbled hotch-potch, with no systematic approach. He shows a few duds, but without the real deal beside them. The Guards MGB badge is described as GMGR and very rare. The infantry miraculously have staff-sergeants. Two Border Regt badges are shown, on pages well apart, and no commentary. An amazingly weird King's Own cap badge, again no comment. Several photos of fat old dealers and collectors, and a huge amount of free advertising. I could go on.

There are extensive quotations from dealers which add nothing of note.

I now see why it was a special offer.

Anyone want it to prop up a dodgy chair? Too slim!

PS my wife keeps asking why I am especially grumpy ...... see above.

Hi GRUMPY

Your not GRUMPY. you just have a sense of HUMOUR, did the feller who wrote this book, have a price list for the cap badges :closedeyes: .

Regards.

Gerwyn

Thanks for the warning - I take it you were not that impressed then?

Hi GRUMPY

Your not GRUMPY. you just have a sense of HUMOUR, did the feller who wrote this book, have a price list for the cap badges :closedeyes: .

Regards.

Gerwyn

No. Nothing useful. You can scan the index in vain for words such as brazing or sweat holes, sliders, composition of "brass" gilding metal or composition white metal, lugs, KC QVC QC etcetc.

My colleagues on British badge Forum equally unthrilled ...... them what knows about these matters.

So, in essence the book has no redeeming features at all then?

So, in essence the book has no redeeming features at all then?

Hi Squirrel

"Not to me Mate." but then I'm only making a judgement on what I've been told ;):w00t: .

Regards.

Gerwyn

I have searched what passes for a conscience. The quality of the photos is good. The paper is good. The binding and printing is good. The price was affordable. The book was delivered quickly.

If I met the author I would commiserate with him over the heavy-handed editing and general misdirection forced on him by the publisher. I would not ask him if he had written anything else. I would not ask him for his autograph.

I hate it when people sit on the fence.

I hate it when people sit on the fence.

And it hurts

Coat. Now. Close the door quietly.