The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The British Army

Steven Broomfield

Came across a copy of this today (and bought it - £30; it looked worth it). Never seen it before.

The title in full is The British Army, its History, Customs, Traditions and Uniforms, by Paymaster Lt Cdr E C Talbot-Booth, RNR. Publshed by Sampson, Low, Marston & Co, Ltd of London, no date but I'd guess about the start of WW2. The best way I can describe it is like a larger version of Major Donovan Jackson's book on the Indian Army (same publisher): it has just over 500 pages, colour ilustrations of uniforms, Colours, medal ribbons, etc.

It might be a bit of a punt at 30 notes, but Mrs B was upstairs when i got home, so I'm in the clear (and I bought her a new frying pan :thumbsup: ). It looked worth it to me, but I'm interested to know if anyone else has this one. I've never seen it before.

I have a copy. Also have "The Royal Navy", "His Majesty's Merchant Navy", and "Ships and the Sea". All by Talbot-Booth & in the same format published at the begining of WW2.

David.

Hi Steven.

The frying pan diversion is a great ploy. Did you also purchase lard, frying for the use of?

Never heard of the book but it sounds like a bargain to me.

Regards

John

The frying pan wasn't entirely a diversion. I was left to fend for myself on Thursday so settled on a cholesterol-buster: black pudding and fried eggs. trouble was I didn't realise for 20 minutes that I'd left the ring on under the frying pan. Teflon smells horrid when you melt it.

Steven, that book STARTED ME OFF ON MILITARY HISTORY! discovered in 1964 at the old Green Howards Museum in Frenchgate, Richmond, when I was in digs, working at RAF Leeming. The Curator lent me a copy.

Not ever so accurate but WOW!

£3o?

Good purchase!

Thanks for that David. I must say, scanning through it, it's a really nice little book. I think the word "atmospheric" might be used as it sets a context of time and place for the British soldier (bless him).

Thanks for that David. I must say, scanning through it, it's a really nice little book. I think the word "atmospheric" might be used as it sets a context of time and place for the British soldier (bless him).

There is another little book that rings similar bells:

OL Perry "Rank and badges etc etc" 1888, the most rambling title and sub-titles ever seen], reprinted by Ray Westlake , 300 numbered copies.

Just about everything anybody needed to know about the Victorian army and navy including "reserves".

The best dipping book I own.

There are a few copies of both on Abebooks......

Ordered both from Abebooks - well under £20 for the two including over a fiver postage (two suppliers).

Ordered both from Abebooks - well under £20 for the two including over a fiver postage (two suppliers).

you will absolutely love them ....... the best room to keep them is in the smallest one of the house, just marvellous for dipping into [the books, that is .............]

Both the books arrived this morning - the Ottley Lane Perry/R Westlake Rank Badges and Dates is an ex library copy which has hardly been issued or used and the Talbot-Booth British Army has been nicely rebound in maroon cloth complete with gold lettering. A quick glance at each confirms that I shall be dipping in and out of these two for many years.

Both the books arrived this morning - the Ottley Lane Perry/R Westlake Rank Badges and Dates is an ex library copy which has hardly been issued or used and the Talbot-Booth British Army has been nicely rebound in maroon cloth complete with gold lettering. A quick glance at each confirms that I shall be dipping in and out of these two for many years.

That is good news ......... as I suggested, on the shelf in your personal khazi if the Memsahib doesn't object, and there are no grandchildren around ..........