Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pronunciation of "Lieutenant" . . . .

Stoppage Drill

we can see why the army has a category "subaltern" which sweeps both their awkwardness into one sack.

Pronounced SOOBERLTRUN, by the way.

I jest.

And then there is brevet ....... never in the fancy Froggy way, rhyming with valet, but always rhyming with rivet.

I don't understand .........

LOO A TENANT ?

LUTT ENANT?

L'TENANT?

The RAF usually went along with LEFT, as befits RFC heritage.

Yes, but they had a RNAS heritage too, and took RN commissioned officer ranks, with an"air" flavour,more or less. Flight Lt is equivalent to a Lt RN, not Army Lt, Wing Cdr is equiv Cdr RN, Group Captain equivalent Captain RN and so forth. RAF officer rank badges are copied from the Navy. The flagpole at RAF stations is a jackstaff with a yardarm. . . . . .

I jest.

?

It must be the way you tell 'em

I used to 'special' officers of all services and the Royal Navy rank was always pronounced Lettenant or I could make 'sir' sound like anything I wanted it to.

I have always wondered why they put up with me for so long.

I used to 'special' officers of all services and the Royal Navy rank was always pronounced Lettenant or I could make 'sir' sound like anything I wanted it to.

I have always wondered why they put up with me for so long.

What was it, a massage parlour or a bordello special?

Or a haircut?

Yes but ............

Wing Commanders do not have scrambled egg on the peak, whereas the Commander RN has, a relic of the days when officers below Post Captain could be appointed, as Lieutenants, to be "Master and Commander", there being a huge jump between Lieutenant and Captain. Given that a Wing Commander with a flying brevet commands and commanded awesome destructive power and has many men in his unit [eg Guy Gibson VC, about 18 Lancasters and crew and a huge ground staff] it has always seemed a bit unfair. The pragmatic view is that his hat is a lot cheaper!

I once shared an office with a Commander RN who was a Met. forecaster and instructor. His hat annoyed me daily!

As any fule kno, Commander Povey always referred to Mr Phillips (if he absolutely had to) as L'tenant Phillips

Left hand down a bit.

Yes but ............

Wing Commanders do not have scrambled egg on the peak, whereas the Commander RN has, a relic of the days when officers below Post Captain could be appointed, as Lieutenants, to be "Master and Commander", there being a huge jump between Lieutenant and Captain. Given that a Wing Commander with a flying brevet commands and commanded awesome destructive power and has many men in his unit [eg Guy Gibson VC, about 18 Lancasters and crew and a huge ground staff] it has always seemed a bit unfair. The pragmatic view is that his hat is a lot cheaper!

I once shared an office with a Commander RN who was a Met. forecaster and instructor. His hat annoyed me daily!

I trust you indulged in acts of petty revenge whenever possible?

What was it, a massage parlour or a bordello special?

Or a haircut?

No they were usually at the end stages of terminal illness, we would try to make it as easy for them and their families as possible.

No they were usually at the end stages of terminal illness, we would try to make it as easy for them and their families as possible.

Sorry, in my profound ignorance I have overstepped the mark ........ I feel bad about this, and will slink away to contemplate my foolishness.

Nah no need, one day I have promised myself I will write a book, even poorly people can't change their characters, they are usually still nasty, arrogant, demanding or weird, they don't all become angels in any sense.