The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Irish units

museumtom

Hi Guys.

I asked this question before and was advised to go to the long long trail and the link from there was unavailable.

Is there a list of Irish related, like Tyneside Irish, London Irish battalions? I know that the London Irish were the 18th batt but that is all. Can anyone please let me know how I can find out which battalions of which regiments were Irish?

regards.

Tom

Tom,

Your best bet is to go through British Regiments 1914-18 by Brigadier E A James.

Each regiment is listed with their battalions e.g Kings Liverpool Regt 1/8th Irish battalion.

Bob.

Here's a South African Irish unit - hope it helps.

Miss Douglas, Whinfield, Clonavon, Ballymena, has received a postcard from her brother, Pte. William Douglas, South African Irish (3rd S.A. Inf), informing her that he is a prisoner of war in Germany. He states that he is well

treated and very comfortable but is in need of a parcel.

post-2-1091740266.jpg

Tom,

Try searching ' Irish ' on the Long Long Trail. It brings up a whole bunch of pages.

Somewhere on the web is a listing of units on the Somme which had pipers ( I have a paper copy somewhere) which also has Irish units. I'll have a dig in me archives.

Aye

Malcolm