The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fort Vaux - Christina Holstein

gem22

I'm sorry to say that various private matters have kept me away from the Forum for quite a while, so I have only just read the last few contributions.

To MJames, a book on the fighting on the Left Bank is a good idea but the problem is that there is very little to 'see' apart from dense forest and overgrown ground. However, it's a good idea and I will certainly think about it.

To Keithjk - thanks very much for your kind words. I am working on various ideas at the moment and am delighted that you find my books so useful. That's the best thing I can hear.

On Nigel's comment about good stuff out there in French but not aimed at the popular market, I can only say that there is surprisingly little on the Battle of Verdun in French apart from what was published in the 20s and 30s. Most of what comes out these days seems to be letters or diaries and I haven't come across much analytical work. I know of one good French-language guide but that's all.

Christina

Good to see you back Christina. I will be putting your books to good use at the end of the month, when we venture down to Verdun. Only managed to get three days, as the wife wants to spend a couple of days in Alsace, sampling the local cuisine. Might PM you in the meantime for a few pointers if thats acceptable?

Regards

Sean

Good to see you back Christina. I will be putting your books to good use at the end of the month, when we venture down to Verdun. Only managed to get three days, as the wife wants to spend a couple of days in Alsace, sampling the local cuisine. Might PM you in the meantime for a few pointers if thats acceptable?

Regards

Sean

If you like, let me know when you are going to be in Verdun, I might be able to pop down for the day.

I shall certainly be going down in the next few weeks with a friend or two as I have info about an area that I haven't been to and we want to investigate reports of some trenches in the forest and a German lookout point.

Regards

Sean

Sean your wife understands the real stuff: Vosges mountain battlegrounds in Alsace - the gemstone of WW1 best preserved remnants. I am right now exploring the Hartmannsweilerkopf off the tourist area and it is a wealth of trenches, underground fortresses and caverns. Combine these spectacular places with alsace kitchen- living like God in France. And sorry for all Verdun-interested parties, but Alsace battlegrounds are just excellent to explore.

Hi Sean,

You can PM me anytime. I'm always more than happy to offer pointers!

You're wrong Egbert. The Vosges are too closed in. Give me the open rolling Meuse any time.

Christina

If you like, let me know when you are going to be in Verdun, I might be able to pop down for the day.

Will keep you posted, thanks :thumbsup:

Sean your wife understands the real stuff: Vosges mountain battlegrounds in Alsace - the gemstone of WW1 best preserved remnants. I am right now exploring the Hartmannsweilerkopf off the tourist area and it is a wealth of trenches, underground fortresses and caverns. Combine these spectacular places with alsace kitchen- living like God in France. And sorry for all Verdun-interested parties, but Alsace battlegrounds are just excellent to explore.

egbert, I would have preferred 5 days at Verdun, but Im so unselfish, its sickening :hypocrite: but maybe I can talk her into a short walk around the Alsace battlefields whilst we are there :whistle: . We will be based in Colmar, so whats your recommendations?

Regards

Sean

Hi Sean,

You can PM me anytime. I'm always more than happy to offer pointers!

You're wrong Egbert. The Vosges are too closed in. Give me the open rolling Meuse any time.

Christina

Hi Christina, many thanks for the offer. We leave the Somme on a Monday morning for Verdun, and stay there for 2 nights, before moving onto Alsace on the Thursday afternoon, so I wanted to make sure that I take in as much as possible.

Im getting all excited now :P

This thread is pics from my recent hols staying just outside Munster which is just down the road from Colmar.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183062&hl=

If your wife thinks she is getting away from the War/Wars she could be in for a shock? :thumbsup:

Mandy

Christina, Sean, Mandy, there is only one place mystic-the high altitude battlefields in the Vosges. And who talks of haunted? I was scared when roaming the large, long caverns and underground fortresses. Yesterday I visited the HWK Northern flank with its mighty trench- and fortress systems deep in the woods.

I should start a picture thread , took some 400 pics.

This is a summit picture where tourism is widespread. But the stuff buried in the large forests and mountain slopes are --------different than Verdun.

post-80-0-66087200-1349387383_thumb.jpg

I must admit Egbert, I was mightily impressed during my 5-day trip to the Vosges several years ago. And of course, being mainly carved out of solid rock, the defences etc. are largely unchanged in over 90 years.

Keith

Egbert, with your obvious passion for the area, (and your rapidly expanding photo collection), have you ever considered doing something on the Vosges for the Battleground Europe series ? I suspect the Tete des Faux, Collet du Linge, and HWK would probably warrant a book each !!

It was good to see Christina break the 'all British' mould with her three books on Verdun, and I'm sure she has inspired a lot of interest and visits as a result. There are several areas in the French sector that really do need some coverage in English, but I'm afraid my inability to progress my French and German beyond rudimentary schoolboy stuff precludes me from studying original source material and tackling the task myself.

Keith

Egbert, I hope Colmar does a good range in Take-Away sandwiches, as the wife might not be visiting as many restuarants as she was hoping :thumbsup: and yes, you should certainly start your own photo thread, the couple above have wetted my apetite already. Poor Mrs. Shiny Seventh....

This thread is pics from my recent hols staying just outside Munster which is just down the road from Colmar.

http://1914-1918.inv...opic=183062&hl=

If your wife thinks she is getting away from the War/Wars she could be in for a shock? :thumbsup:

Mandy

Thanks Mandy, but I was following your thread with interest last month, and yes, she wont be impressed, but hey, s**t happens!

I should start a picture thread , took some 400 pics.

I think you should Egbert. Might give me some ideas for my next holiday.

Mandy

Have a great time Shiny Seventh and don't forget to show us some photos when you get back.

Mandy

Ok, what could be a good title? " My walk up and around the Hartmannsweilerkopf" or "My climb up to the HWK"?

egbert, Im so glad you wrote Hartmannsweilerkopf, because I had no idea what HWK was :blush:. I dont think " My walk up and around the Hartmannsweilerkopf" will fit in the title bar :whistle:

Regards

Sean.

Hartmannsweilerkopf is one of my favourite words, along with Spanbroekmolen. I'm glad I was no longer in the RN when I first visited them, as the tattoos would have cost a fortune. I did manage to fit them both into my speech at my daughter's wedding, much to the consternation of the guests.

Keith

Keith, we appear to share a favorite word, "Spanbroekmolen" dont you just love it :thumbsup: although Im not sure I would add it to my tattoo collection, or bring it up at my daughters wedding :whistle:. I remember a few years ago, driving around for hours trying to find the pool of peace by signpost!! :devilgrin: