The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Issy Smith

ronaldaroo

Any info/photos/reminiscences etc of this fascinating World War 1 hero who was a relation of my wife's half uncle.

Ronald John Saunders

There's a whole folder full of stuff about Issy Smith in the Museum of the Manchester Regiment (in Ashton-under-Lyne, not Manchester as you may expect!), but not his medal though! Inlcudes newspaper articles and all sorts from long after his military career, and I think was compiled by a family member. The Museum has scanned copies of the originals and bound them together to make a presentation book of the stuff.

He won his VC for rescuing wounded men under fire in August 1915 near Ypres.

Smith's is quite an interesting story really as he went on the rounds of recruiting rallies and the like (as I believe was quite common for VC holders) but, since he was Jewish, was definitely pointed towards Jewish communities in a way that I suspect may be considered un-PC these days.

He emigrated to Australia afer the war, and was quite vocal in local politics and representing the Jewish community.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Any info/photos/reminiscences etc of this fascinating World War 1 hero who was a relation of my wife's half uncle.

Ronald John Saunders

I see that I have been "pipped at the post" by DNH, who knows rather more about Issy Smith than I do. I had suspected that his Brighton escapade would have been part of a nationwide campaign. Below here is my unedited post.

He did at least one recruiting drive. Late 1915/early 1916 Issy Smith "The Young Jewish VC" was in Brighton.

IIRC he was trying to get Sussex Jews to join the colours. Of course, this is mentioned in some detail in the Brighton papers of the period.

He was presented with his VC by King George V at Buckingham Palace on February 3rd 1916.

His medal was sold by Sothebys in Australia for 27000 dollars in April 1992.

Bob.

There is also a write-up about him in "VC's of the First World War - The Western Front, 1915" by Peter Batchelor and Christopher Matson (Sutton Publishing, Gloucs. 1997) (see pages 81-85). He was actually born Ishroulch Shmeilowitz to Polish Orthodox parents.

His medals were sold in Melbourne in April 1991 for approx. £10,000 and then again in London in October 1995, fetching £35,288. They were bought by a private collector (Ashcroft?).

Hope the above helps - drop me a line if you want more info. from the book.

Rgds

Ed

There's also mention of him (but not much detail as he lived outside the area of coverage of the book) in "Devotion to Duty - Tributes to a Region's VC's" by J.W.Bancroft. This is mainly about VCs from the Manchester(ish) area.

Dave.