The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Charles Bowman Little 50674

drdave

Me again!

Great great uncle Charles it seems.

He was in 12bn W Yorks and wounded at Polygon wound on 27/9/17.

He died at 61 CCS on 7/10/17.

He was from Wortley in Leeds. He has a damaged 17 page record on Ancestry.

Some questions for the experts. I cant find much on his Bn. Was it a pioneer regiment?

Is there a photo available of his grave at Dozinghem?

Are there any books about his regiment?

Lastly, I found this wonderful atmospheric photo of regiment men in a bunker at polygon. So evocative I'd like to share it and ask you to point out details for me.

Cheers

Dave

post-87445-0-58019400-1331327857.jpg

Hi Dave

12th Battalion, Prince of Wales Own, W York Regt, Born; Leeds. Enlisted; Leeds. Died of Wounds, 07/10/1917.

Regards.

Gerwyn

The 12th (Service) Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) was raised at York on the 16th if September 1914 as part of Kitchener's Third New army and joined 63rd Brigade, 21st Division. The Division concentrated in the Tring area, training at Halton Park before winter necessitated a move into local billets in Tring, Aylesbury, Leighton Buzzard, High Wycombe and Maidenhead. In May 1915 the infantry moved to huts at Halton Park. On the 9th of August they moved to Witley Camp. They proceeded to France during the first week of September, landing at Le Havre and marched across France to going into the reserve for the British assault at Loos on the 26th of September suffering heavy casualties. On the 16th of November 1915 the Battalion transferred to 9th Brigade, 3rd Division. In 1916 they took part in The Actions of the Bluff and St Eloi Craters then moved to The Somme for The Battle of Albert, The Battle of Bazentin helping to capture Longueval, The Battle of Delville Wood and The Battle of the Ancre. In 1917 They were at Arras, seeing action at Battles of the Scarpe and The Battle of Arleux. They moved north to the Flanders and were in action during The Battle of the Menin Road and Battle of Polygon Wood during the Third Battle of Ypres. Then moved south and were in action at The Battle of Cambrai. On the 17th of February 1918 the 12th West Yorks was disbanded in France, the troops amalgamating with the 8th East Yorks to form the 10th Entrenching Battalion.