The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Malakoff Farm, Hargicourt

Beselare

I have to admit defeat using a trench map and a modern map to pinpoint the location of Malakoff Farm, east of Hargicourt. The roads on the trench map and the modern map just do not seem to correlate. Can I please make an appeal to a Linesman owner to help me. The trench map reference is:

62cNE2. 30.c.7.3.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Bob

Bob

Malakoff Trench is on map 62 c NE 2 F 30 c, Epehy.

Malakoff Farm is on map 28 NW 2 B 22 bd, St Julien.

Regards

John

hi Bob and John. Don't know if you spotted this but there is a Malakoff farm behind Malakoff trench. So there seems to be two Malakoff farms one on 62c NE2 Epehy and one on 28NW2 St Julien. Dave.

Hi Bob. I've done a Google earth/ Trench map overlay. Looks like the farm was demolished and now lies partly under a motorway. Dave

post-55251-0-31729300-1331455548.jpg

I assume you are interested in the one on 62C

Care of Linesman here is a November 1917 extract - useful as it is not on the edge of a map and does have the farm and trenches marked. I have marked the lane to the farm in black, the Farm in blue and two of the trenches in red - this will help on the modern map.

post-28845-0-42999700-1331460382.jpg

You will now see how much the terrain has been changed by time and the motorway! You can still get near th area though if you want to visit.

post-28845-0-93248900-1331460475.jpg

Here is the same 25000 map over a larger area so that you can get your bearings.

post-28845-0-12953300-1331460552.jpg

Hope these help.

Jim

Sorry, should have taken out the text in the second map. I'm sure it still does the job though.

To Jim, Dave and John

Many thanks for your help - there is no way I could have coped with this without the help of Linesman. I am taking a friend there next Thursday to visit the site of Malakoff Farm. It was in front of this farm that his grandfather was killed on 21st March 1918 - Pte. Fred Clarke, 2/4th Battn., East Lancs Regt, age 43! He came from Putney in London. He is buried in Roisel Communal Cemetery Extension and we will be paying our respects there.

Bob