The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Grandad was in the Army Cyclist Corps

Guest januk

My Grandad James Henry Cunningham joined the Lancashire Fusiliers on 26th August 1914.

I don't know a lot about army regiments, but am trying to learn.

I have accessed his details on the medal Rolls on the National Archives website.

He was in the Army Cyclist Corps.

The roll says his first posting was to the Balkans with (2B) in brackets and he entered the theatre of war on the 6th August 1915, and he was awarded the Victory The British and the Star.

He transferred to the reserves on 3rd March 1919.

Can anyone help me by directing me to where I would start to learn more about where he may have served and when.

Thanking you

Jan Grandad Cunninghams daughter.

Hi Jan, welcome to the Forum! :)

A good place to start is Chris' site "The Long, Long Trail" link.

Chris

Thank you very much for replying, I have visited the website but unfortunately it dosn't make much sense to me, optimistically not yet.

Could anyone answer a question for me.

How do I first find out which battalion Grandad belonged to, maybe if I can be pointed in that direction I can then find out where he served,, yes/no?

I have his reg number, it is 6025, would I be able to trace his battalion from this number?

Jan

Jan,

This is by way of a suggestion rather than ‘hard’ information

But I think that it would be a good idea to start at the beginning of your grandfather’s service ie with the Lancashire Fusiliers rather than with the Army Cyclist Corps.

He enlisted on 26th August 1914 and his date of entry into a theatre of war was 6th August 1915. So I wonder if at that stage he was with the 9th (Service) Battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers?

The 9th were formed in Bury on 31st August 1914 and were mostly recruited from miners and millworkers in Bury and Bolton. On 6th August 1915 they landed at Suvla on the Gallipoli peninsula.

CAVEAT: There’s a lot of guess work here, but then again, it just might take you forward a little. There should be a museum in Bury which might be able to help; I think that it’s the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, Lancashire HQ Museum

Best of luck

Michael D.R.