The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mountains of Moab

michaeldr

Mountains of Moab by Victor Godrich, edited & published 2011, by his son Dr. John Godrich [iSBN 978 0 954 904 395]

If you have and enjoy Teichman's 'Diary of a Yeomanry M.O.' then this is that book's perfect companion, being the diary of a cavalry man with the Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars.

Edward Victor Godrich served with the Worcestershire yeomanry from 1908 to 1919 and his Great War service took him to Gallipoli and all through the Palestine campaign. His diary notes were expanded into book form sometime c.1920-30 and those have recently been edited by his son, who has taken the time, and the budget, to produce a splendid edition.

It is hard-backed in colour with a similar coloured illustration on the wrapper, and the text is liberally peppered with black and white photographs. Dr. Godrich has worked with the Worcestershire Yeomanry Cavalry Museum and through their co-operation he has been able to include a selection of the watercolours painted by his father's CO, Lord Hampton. The colour reproduction is done well and all the book is printed on good quality paper; c.244 pages.

It is really good to see an Other Ranks' story so well told

The book's copy right and the photographs have been given to the Regimental Trust, who will also share 50% of the profits from it's sale. If the book's illustrations manage to whet your appetite, then I understand that Lord Hampton's original paintings can be seen at the museum.

Edit to correct - My enthusiasm may have gotten the better of me here. Per Appendix I, page 197: the watercolours of Lord Hampton may be seen at the “city Museum at Worcester”

The book is available from the Worcestershire Yeomanry Cavalry Museum Trust, Foregate Street, Worcester WR1 1DT price £20.00 plus p & p

Edited by michaeldr