The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Do You Have Lots of Money?

Terry

For anyone who has a full wallet, check out ebay item 226151104. Two casualty groups, apparently to brothers, complete with memorial plaques, memorial crosses, ID tags, photos,etc.

Lieut. Charles Herbert White, 20th Bn, DOW 17 Aug.,1917; and 757969 Pte.John White, 3rd Bn., KIA 20 Sept.,1917.

There are so few opportunities to obtain complete groups like this that I can imagine the bidding will be heavy.

What a great group and documentation.

Andy

Terry....AMAZING!!!!!!

Oh to have money?

David

PS: One of the Memorial Plaques looks like an engraved example. Teapots should see this.

In World War One the Canadian government issued the cross to the female next of kin of the soldier/sailor/airman who died in the service of his/her country. The cross was a separate award, usually for the mother or wife of the soldier. It was not issued with the medals, as it was a single commemorative intended for the female next of killed. The Memorial Cross has also been awarded to other relatives. The Memorial Cross is still awarded to the families of service personnel who die while in the service of Canada.

This site describes the warrant for the MEMORIAL CROSS. A short summary of the issue card is found at Memorial Cross Card. Note that a more modern warrant has been quoted as to the definition of next of kin in this site.

The lot described is indeed an exceptional lot.

Guest Pete Wood
One of the Memorial Plaques looks like an engraved example. Teapots should see this.

I'm not so sure this is engraved.

Has anyone actually contacted the seller.....?? If not, I will email him about this. Because IF it is engraved, it suggests that this plaque was not made until around 1930. Looking at the way that these items have been preserved (in other words a caring family), this does not make sense to me.

But I would LOVE to be wrong. I have yet to see a Canadian engraved plaque.

Bob,

Perhaps some of my fellow Canadian Pals can confirm this, but you may recall that a couple of years ago four members of the 3rd Bn.,PPCLI were killed by "friendly fire" in Afghanistan. Within a few days, by the time the funerals were held the widow of Sgt.Marc Leger was wearing a memorial cross, so the government for once had acted quickly.

In recent years the Silver Cross Mother annually selected to lay a wreath in Ottawa on 11 Nov. has often been the mother or widow of a peacekeeper killed in some UN mission or a soldier killed on duty in places like Afghanistan. Despite not having been in a major war for decades the Canadian Forces have continued to see much active service. For example Canadian losses in the former Yugoslavia in the 1990's were about twenty killed and around one hundred wounded or injured.

In World War One the Canadian government issued the cross to the female next of kin of the soldier/sailor/airman who died in the service of his/her country. The cross was a separate award, usually for the mother or wife of the soldier. It was not issued with the medals, as it was a single commemorative intended for the female next of killed. The Memorial Cross has also been awarded to other relatives. The Memorial Cross is still awarded to the families of service personnel who die while in the service of Canada.

This site describes the warrant for the MEMORIAL CROSS. A short summary of the issue card is found at Memorial Cross Card. Note that a more modern warrant has been quoted as to the definition of next of kin in this site.

The lot described is indeed an exceptional lot.

Very helpful Bill thanks very much.

Brum

In answer to Terry and to clarify, the Memorial Cross continued to be issued to service personnel, with some changes to the warrant, during World War Two and Korea. It continues to be given to NEXT of KIN. Indeed the images that were circulated in the media after the Afghanistan casualites to the PPCLI showed the widow of one wearing a Memorial Cross.