The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RFC book wanted

spconnolly007

I have just purchased a copy of Richard Pullen's Track Prints, a photographic history of British Tanks of The Great War(signed no less)and flicking through it, it seems to have a good amount of pictures with brief descriptions giving a general history of the Tank, all for less than a tenner. Can any Pals reccommend a similar book covering the RFC, which includes plenty of pics for identification purposes etc? Im not looking for anything too in depth, and preferably not so expensive that it flags up on the wifes PayPal account :whistle: regards Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Hi If you're looking for a book that will help you identify aircraft (types and serial numbers), J. M. Bruce's 'The Aeroplanes of the Royal Flying Corps (Military Wing)' is the essential work. It has lots of photographs and a short history on each aircraft type.

S. F. Wise's 'Canadian Airmen and the First World War' remains the best overall history of Britain's part in the air war, though it is immense.

Lee Kennett has done a good, concise, readable history with 'The First Air War, 1914-1918' as have Peter Hart and Nigel Steel with 'Tumult in the Clouds'.

Thankyou Michael, Id just about given up on this thread :thumbsup: I will have a look on Amazon for your reccommendations and hopefully order it without HER noticeing!! Mind you, my dear wife caught me out on an e-bay purchase last week and did'nt raise an eyebrow, I think she's given up bothering :) regards Sean

Just noticed Purnells book of the first war planes on E Bay 4 days to run currently about 3.99 probably not exactly what you want but worth a look, Colin

First World War section in collectibles sub section militaria

Aircraft of World War I by Jack Herris and Bob Pearson [iSBN 978 1 906626 66 2] is a very good guide to the development and use of aeroplanes during the conflict, and covers the action away from the Western Front.

Gareth

Aircraft of World War I by Jack Herris and Bob Pearson [iSBN 978 1 906626 66 2] is a very good guide to the development and use of aeroplanes during the conflict, and covers the action away from the Western Front.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth, just ordered from Amazon £12.99 with free postage :thumbsup: cheers Sean