Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another WW1 Family Story to Research

anthony osborne

Just testing the water on this one before I organise another visit to the National Archives.

The story goes that my Grandfather's Grandfather - William Adams Garlick served in the Royal Navy at some point but did not see any action other than being torpedoed and then discharged.

Have done some digging and he was born 25th March 1873 in Greens Norton, nr Towcester, Northamptonshire, which would have put him at 41 at the outbreak of the war - I'm guessing he would have volunteered rather than being drafted - he was too old I think, to be called up.

The Naval Reserve Medal Roll shows a William Garlick Ordinary Seaman TZ/11529 who was only awarded the British War Medal and it was issued to himself - which fits in with the family story.

"TZ" refers to the Tyne Division (I have got this from other threads on this subject), but my William haled from the midlands - is it possible for him to be trained there?

I understand that Naval Service records are readily available - I have 2 records that were given to me so am hoping I can find William's at the Archives - if I have the right William.

Can anyone shed any light or advise given the information above?

Thanks all,

Ant

You can download his RNVR service record from the NA hereRNVR SVC REC

Simon.

You can download his RNVR service record from the NA hereRNVR SVC REC

Simon.

Thanks for your assistance

Not my man though unfortunately - looks like I've hit a brick wall - the search continues.

Once again thanks,

Ant

Ant,

The Greens Norton Absent Voters List shows:

Arthur Hubert Garlick, Chapel House, Greens Norton, 62739 Private, 7th Royal Fusiliers

Joe Garlick, Malting Yard, 98428 Driver, 1st Brigade Ammunition Column, Royal Field Artillery

But no William Adams Garlick...

Steve.

I've just realised he moved to Northampton. These men are Garlicks on the Northampton Roll of Honour of men serving created in 1916.

Bert GARLICK, 40 HUNTER STREET, 1ST/4TH NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, PRIVATE, WOUNDED AT DARDANELLES

Frank GARLICK, 17 CLINTON ROAD, GROUP 37

Fred GARLICK, 36 WIMBLEDON STREET, GROUP 45

Frederick Josiah GARLICK, 6 DEVONSHIRE STREET AND TERRACE, 1ST/4TH NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, PRIVATE

George GARLICK, 36 SILVER STREET, 2ND/9TH NORFOLK, PRIVATE

Reginald John GARLICK, 10 OXFORD STREET AND TERRACE, ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY, GUNNER

William GARLICK 20 HENLEY STREET, GROUP 34

William Adams GARLICK, 10 BEARWARD STREET AND COURTS, ARMY SERVICE CORPS, PRIVATE

William Herbert GARLICK, 46 BAKER STREET, 4TH NATIONAL RESERVE, PRIVATE

"GROUP" men are those enlisted under the Derby Scheme and not yet called up.

Medal cards show:

William A Garlick, Army Service Corps, SS/20170, Egypt 15-11-1915.

SWB Cards show:

William Adam * Garlick, SS/20170, enlisted 19-10-1915, discharged 12-8-1916.

* No "s"

I can't see him on the 1918 Absent Voters List, but if discharged in 1916 he wouldn't be on there!

Steve.

Steve,

absolutely amazing - can you be certain it's the chap I'm searching for - judging by your knowledge there is a good chance it is? I'd already seen the medal card during my searching but had always been told William was in the Royal Navy so thought nothing of it. The medal card is attached.

I new someone with more experience would come along soon enough.

Thanks, Ant

post-51916-0-67029700-1332868477.jpg

Next question - what does the SS prefix mean?

Ant

As a name, William Adam(s) Garlick appears to be unique in the UK, with or without the "S" so it certainly seems to be him.

I would put 99.5% chance on it!

Steve.

Steve/Robert,

thanks for your help - another mystery solved. William was a shoe/boot maker by profession so I guess this skill was used by the ASC to keep the soldiers marching at the front. A bit more digging required as there is still the tail that he was torpedoed and invalided home (the SWB indicates this could be the case "illness"). Some Naval experts may be able to help point me in the right direction to find out when this may have happened - although I guess a lot of ships were torpedoed around that time on their way or in the Egyptian theatre.

Once again many thanks - I know a lot more than I did a couple of days ago - brilliant! thumbsup.png

Ant