The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Units

7Y&LP

Hello,

Can anyone provide any information on the following 'German' units: 3rd Btn 229 RIR and the 3rd Btn 230 RIR ? In September 1917 both were part of the 50th Reserve Division and both took part in The Battle of The Menin Road. Would I be correct in assuming RIR stands for 'Reserve Infantry Regiment' ? Which of the German states would they have come from ? Many thanks for yout help, look forwrd to reading your replies.

Jon

both regiments (with their III. Battalions) were part of the 99. Reserve-Infanterie-Brigade of 50. Reserve-Division. You are correct: RIR is the abbreviation for Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment. They were Prussian (Silesian) regiments, the whole of RIR 229 being raised in Breslau and III./RIR 230 in Gleiwitz. The other two battalions of RIR 230 were formed Brieg and Oppeln.

Regards

Glenn

Thank you very much for that Glenn,

Is there an equivilant of 'The Long,Long Trial' for Imeprial German units ?

Best regards

Jonathan Bowd

Both units has histories:

RIR229

Link zu diesem Datensatz http://d-nb.info/578346966

Titel Das Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr 229 / Nach d. amtl. Kriegstagebüchern bearb. Alfons Wiedersich. Geleitw. von Major Franke

Person(en) Wiedersich, Alfons ; Franke, ...

Verleger Berlin : Tradition

Erscheinungsjahr 1929

Umfang/Format XII, 349 S. : Mit 9 Ktn, 28 Bild., Feldzugserinnerungen u. e. Ehrentaf. d. Gefallenen d. Reg. ; 8

RIR230

Link zu diesem Datensatz http://d-nb.info/36214401X

Titel Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 230 / zsgest. nach d. amtl. Kriegstagebüchern u. priv. Aufzeichn. durch Günther von Niebelschütz [u.a.]

Person(en) Niebelschütz, Günther von

Pook, W.

Verleger Oldenburg i. O. : Gerh. Stalling

[Hagen i. W., Bahnhofstr. 41 II] : [Offizier-Vereinigung R. I. R. 230, Dr. E. Parker]

Erscheinungsjahr 1926

Umfang/Format 293, 90 S. : Mit 8 Kt., 8 [eingedr.] Geländeskizzen u. 43 Abb. [auf Taf.] ; 8

Gesamttitel Erinnerungsblätter deutscher Regimenter ; Nr. 159

• 2 weeks later...

There is a small booklet about RIR 231 as well.

I have all three books.

There may have been parts of the histories translated in the book by Jack Sheldon "The German Army at Passchendaele"?

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the info folks, the war diary of 1 Queens states 'no less than 6 divisions being used in this attack upon our divisional front'. So, any idea who the other divisions were apart from the 50th Reserve and which units made up their composition ? The British forces in this action composed (according to the war diary) 98th & 100 Brigades (33rd Division), with 9th HLI and 1st QRWS as leading batts of 100th Brigade, the diary also mentions 2nd Worcesters & the 'Glasgow Highlanders' (= 9th HLI ?), whilst my grandads account mentions casualties thus: 'Before we got near the reserve line we had two platoons knocked out. I saw a platoon of HLI's get a big one amongst them and we passed best part of a platoon of the Middlesex on the ground in bits.' As ever any info gratefuly received.

Jonathan,

Is this of use?

British produced map of the German Order of Battle on the 26th September 1917.

Phil

post-20576-0-30175700-1335478370.jpg

Thank you very much Phil, that is excellent ! Is the map easily obtainable ?

I found it at Kew. I have the full sheet photographed, but in poor light with a hand held camera. If you want a copy PM me with your email address.

24th Division is actually at the southern extremity of the map, but it extends a lot further north and round to the coast at Nieuport.

Phil