The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Turners of Halifax, West Yorkshire

Guest Rowland's brothers

Guest Rowland's brothers

Here is my story: My Great-Granddad (Rowland Turner) died in WWI when my Granddad was only 3 months old. Rowland had many brothers, most of whom I know nothing about past their births. My father remembers Granddad talking about some of them, but he didn't even know the names of the others until I found the family on the censuses. It's really sad, but that whole generation of the Turners was lost to us because of Great-Granddad dying when Granddad was only a baby.

So, we are really wondering if others died in the war besides Rowland. I have checked on the CWGC site, but since many of the entries are only under the first initial, and there is very little additional info provided, I had no luck.

Here are their names and birth years (in quarters, as this is as far as I have gotten so far. I plan to send for their birth certificates to get the actual dates, but haven't yet):

Edgar Turner, b. Jun 1/4 of 1874 in Northowram

Oscar Turner, b. Jun 1/4 of 1876 in Wakefield

Charles William Turner, b. Mar 1/4 of 1881 in Halifax

Studley Turner, b. Jun 1/4 of 1885 in Halifax

Norman Turner, b. Mar 1/4 of 1887 in Halifax

Clifford Dudley Turner, b. Mar 1/4 of 1889 in Halifax

George Cyril Turner, b. Jun 1/4 of 1894

Their parents were Charles and Mary Ann (nee Binns) Turner. The family was living in Halifax in 1901, and I would guess that they stayed there, as Rowland and his wife, Amy did. Sisters included Evelyn and Nellie (Nelly?).

Well, if someone (anyone!) can help me find out what happened to my great-great-unlces, I'd appreciate it more than you know.

Thank you!!!

Sincerely,

Kate Turner