The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bucks Hussars

PhilB

This ebay item:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...2260204166&rd=1

shows a group with plaque to a Bucks Hussars man. I can`t find him on the CWGC site and the card (shown on ebay) has him as having been discharged. Would I be right in assuming he had died at home subsequently? Shouldn`t he appear on the CWGC site? Phil B

I can`t find him on the CWGC site and the card (shown on ebay) has him as having been discharged. Would I be right in assuming he had died at home subsequently? Shouldn`t he appear on the CWGC site? Phil B

Phil............I'm no expert but my understanding is he would only qualify for war grave status once discharged if his death was directly resulting from his war service & if it ocurred within the qualifying period...............Terry Denham should be able to clarify this better

Will is correct.

After discharge a man who subsequently died only qualifies for war grave status and CWGC commemoration if he died by 31.08.21 inclusive and of a wound sustained during service between the qualifying dates or of an illness caused by service during the qualifying dates. Merely dying before the cut-off date of an illness first suffered during service did not count - it had to be caused or exacerbated by his service.

Your man probably died after the cut-off date.

Phil, you'll find a thread on this grouping along with two MIC cards which I believe were his, here.

I thought he may have died after the CWGC cut-off date to explain why he wasn't listed. I'm still curious about what the 10 RCR abbreviation refers.

Thanks, gents. I had read that previous thread, but not associated it with the item I saw on ebay. A real strange one! Phil B

Well,

Someone obviously thought there was a story here as a rather rich GBP511 was required to bag the group. Anyone know the buyer, who will now reveal all........?

Steve