The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st WORCESTERS

NIGEL

My grandad was awarded the MM while with the 1st Worcesters for something he did during the last months of the war.

Does anybody know how i can find out what he was involved in at this time ?

me again nigel!

last action of the war of the 1st worcesters was the advance to and occupation of Douai between october 1st and october 18th. stacke's history of the worcestershire regiment in the great war has six pages (plus maps) devoted to it.

enoch

nigel, there are copies of stackes in halesowen and stourbridge libaries by me,but thats no use to you in ireland. naval and miltary press recently republished it,it is expensive but it is a big book!

enoch

HI MARK

Thanks for the info, but could you have a peep in the book from January 1918 until the end of the war, and see if it mentions my grandad Private or Sargeant George Ernest Green. I am told he was awarded the medal for an act during the last months of the war and one of his jobs was an engine driver besides the usual.

Thanks

Nigel

I have no vested interest in the CD version of this book, but I can heartily recommend it - really useful and well scanned text / maps / images.

• 3 weeks later...

Nigel

I've had a quick look in the Regimental History for you. The only reference confirms the award of the MM to Sgt G E Green, 57148 which was published in the London Gazette on 20/8/1919.

All the best

Paul