The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Badges ID please

SteveGray

post-88247-0-17331100-1333482466.jpgCould someone please ID both the cap and lapel badges. The picture is of my great uncle wearing, I believe, hospital blues. Date unknown.

post-88247-0-17331100-1333482466.jpg

Thanks for the quick turnround Sepoy. Does anyone know more about the lapel badge?

The lapel might be a "flag" supporting an animal charity, such as Our Dumb Friends League's Blue Cross Fund, raising money towards relief of suffering of horses and other animals.

Thanks to all for your help. I couldn't make any sense of the lapel badge but now the horseshoe and horse's head have been pointed out, it seems obvious. Anyway, not a military item, so I shall search elsewhere to see if I can make a full ID.

Steve.

What's his name and where is he from?

Rgds

Tim D

post-88247-0-17331100-1333482466.jpgCould someone please ID both the cap and lapel badges. The picture is of my great uncle wearing, I believe, hospital blues. Date unknown.

I'd say KRR he is wearinf Hospital blues

Simon

He's my mum's uncle, Harry Shepherd, and born and raised in Dartford. Don't know much about him I'm afraid.

Steve.

Don't know much about him I'm afraid.

Steve.[/size]

Well, we know he was in the 60th Rifles, was wounded, had a moustache and liked horses.

Result! :thumbsup:

I cannot see a Harry Shepherd amongst KRRC but a Henry J Shepherd (R4611) or Henry Shepherd (14698) were both KRRC men - the latter transferred to the Labour Corps, which was quite likely following being wounded. Could he be Henry Shepherd born Dartford 1891?

It wouldn't surprise me if he was Henry, as most of his siblings appear to have been called something different from their actual names. I will have to ask mum (still going strong at 94) if she knows, or see if I can find out from census data.

Thanks as ever for the steer.

Steve.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was Henry, as most of his siblings appear to have been called something different from their actual names. I will have to ask mum (still going strong at 94) if she knows, or see if I can find out from census data.

Thanks as ever for the steer.

Steve.

A cracking photo. I hope that he survived.

I notice cap badge worn without scarlet backing ....... how common was this, please?

One of my grandfathers, and one of my wife's, were KRRC men. The former fought in Zululand 1879 and also the Sudan [bugler] and the latter lies in Hooge Crater CWGC, served 26 Aug 1914 to 18th Oct 1918. Tough luck.

RIP grandpas.

I notice cap badge worn without scarlet backing ....... how common was this, please?

I've had a look through my photo collection (where all are demonstrably WW1) and can provide the following, purely arbitrary, statistics (number reflects number of soldiers not number of images):

KRRC: Studio, home and abroad: 13 all scarlet backed.

This led me to look at the London Regiments who wore the same pattern badge:

6th : Home and Abroad: 60 + none scarlet backed. 2 Possibles Scarlet backed.

11th: Home and Abroad 20 + all scarlet backed.

12th: 1 not backed.

16th: Home and Abroad 7 backed 1 not backed. (Also a platoon in France where I cannot say one way or another

though would hedge to not).

21st: Home. 50 not backed. (dubious as to whether or not this qualifies as a Rifle Corps pattern).

So my purely unscientific rule of thumb findings are;

Q. "how common was this (not too wear backing) ?" A " Seldom if at all for the KRRC and dependent on Battalion for the London's".

Regards

Suddery

Haven't found out how to get a previous comment to appear with my replies, so any hints would be useful.

Having said that, to, answer the earlier point, from Frogsmile, he did survive, as I have a picture of him with his brother (who served in the RFA) in about the 1950s/60s.

Also I'm amazed at the topics which can arise from one simple picture, and the depth of knowledge you guys have. Thanks to you all.

Steve.

Haven't found out how to get a previous comment to appear with my replies, so any hints would be useful.

Having said that, to, answer the earlier point, from Frogsmile, he did survive, as I have a picture of him with his brother (who served in the RFA) in about the 1950s/60s.

Also I'm amazed at the topics which can arise from one simple picture, and the depth of knowledge you guys have. Thanks to you all.

Steve.

I am glad to hear he survived Steve, he seemed like a decent man who had seen and appreciated the suffering undergone by horses in the war.

To reply and include a previous comment you need to click on the reply icon immediately below the post of the individual you wish to reply to. Try out the multi quote in a similar way and you will find it fairly self explanatory. For a straight reply with no quotes you use the reply icon at the bottom of the page.

pic of charity badge

Thanks Tape, I have got nowhere so far looking on other sites. Just out of interest, where did you come across it?

Steve.

I am glad to hear he survived Steve, he seemed like a decent man who had seen and appreciated the suffering undergone by horses in the war.

To reply and include a previous comment you need to click on the reply icon immediately below the post of the individual you wish to reply to. Try out the multi quote in a similar way and you will find it fairly self explanatory. For a straight reply with no quotes you use the reply icon at the bottom of the page.

Thanks to you Frogsmile, both for the help and the comments. Just a pity I never knew him, but his sister (my gran) was just as thoughtful, so I guess it ran in the family. (hope it still does!)

Steve.

I cannot see a Harry Shepherd amongst KRRC but a Henry J Shepherd (R4611) or Henry Shepherd (14698) were both KRRC men - the latter transferred to the Labour Corps, which was quite likely following being wounded. Could he be Henry Shepherd born Dartford 1891?

Apologies for the delay, but I was waiting for some info from my cousin, who was away on holiday. She tells me he was Henry and born in 1891 (January we think), so it sounds as if your suggestion is correct.

Thanks again for the help.

Steve.

Thanks Tape, I have got nowhere so far looking on other sites. Just out of interest, where did you come across it?

Steve.

it came with alot of others ,not too rare they only go for £2 or £3.

Bob

it came with alot of others ,not too rare they only go for £2 or £3.

Bob

Many thanks for the time and effort Bob, it has been much appreciated.

Steve.