The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered today

Jock Bruce

10 Jun 1879 - born at Newtonmore, Kingussie, Inverness-shire; son of Alexander & Catherine (nee Campbell)

1901 - residing Newtonmore

25 Apr 1902 - married Jessie Wotherspoon (19 years old - Papermill Worker) at Leslie, Fife. Occupation given as 'Mason' - same as father.

Date unknown - enlisted in 4 QOCH at Newtonmore

4 Apr 14 - died at East End, Newtonmore. Still a mason. Cause of death 'Phthisis Pulmonalis' of 1 years standing. Quick look at Google suggests Phthsis etc is 'lungy' and that the dust etc associated with stonemason's work may be a factor - but it also seems to be used to mean TB. Doubtless some of our resident scab-lifters can elucidate, my squeamish nature prevents me investigating too closely.

Banchor Cem is at Newtonmore

His low number (250) may point to enlistment in the TF soon after its founding in 1908 - he could even be ex-Volunteers - but I don't know enough about 4 QOCH numbering to do more than speculate (Tom T-M would know).

I guess if he hadn't died when he did he would have quickly been medically discharged in the clear out that followed TF mobilization and wouldn't have appeared in CWGC.

Jock