The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

webley history

Khaki

Would someone be so kind as to supply me some 'titles' that give a good history of Webley cartridge revolvers as well as photographs.

khaki

Would someone be so kind as to supply me some 'titles' that give a good history of Webley cartridge revolvers as well as photographs.

khaki

khaki,

3 great Webley reference books are :-

The Webley Story - by William Chipchase Dowell.

Webley Revolvers - by Gordon Bruce & Christian Reinhart.

and if you like Webley Automatic Pistols - Webley & Scott Automatic Pistols by Gordon Bruce.

I have all 3 books, they have lots of great information and photographs.

Regards,

LF

Hello LF

Thanks for you reply, do you know the availability of those titles

khaki

All 3 are generally available, can be a little hard to find, and are not cheap.

I found a good buy on Amazon UK, they are currently listing a copy of The Webley Story by W. C. Dowell - Hardbound in NEW condition - GBP 65.

There are currently 2 others on Ebay for GBP 150 each !

I will check on the other titles, and get back to you.

Regards,

LF

Hi again LF,

I thought I would do a little checking as well, I found a "Webley Story" available for about 25% more than the cost of a genuine MkV or MkV1, I think I will pass that one by.

khaki

Hi again LF,

I thought I would do a little checking as well, I found a "Webley Story" available for about 25% more than the cost of a genuine MkV or MkV1, I think I will pass that one by.

khaki

Are you talking about The Webley Story by Dowell ?, because that is the book currently on Amazon for GBP65.

khaki,

Again on Amazon - Webley & Scott Automatic Pistols by Gordon Bruce - Like new copy - GBP 39.95, a very good price.

There is another listed on Amazon for GBP 138.95!!

LF

Hi again LF,

khaki

The one you are probably referring to is the " Webley Story " original edition, which is more of a Collector's item, and as such commands a high premium.

A later revised edition of Dowell's " The Webley Story ", basically the same book for a fraction of the price, is available on Amazon for GBP65.

Hi LF

You are probably right, about being a collector's item, I will keep checking for what Amazon has,

Thank you

khaki

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Khaki

One other good book on Webleys is 'Worldwide Webley' by Stephen Cuthbertson . Its available on Amzon and probably Ebay.

Regards

Webleyman