The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ASC 4th Railway Supply Detachment

Guest narside

I am researching my grandfather's Great War service and apart from his medal record I have very little as his war record is a Burned Document.

He was in the 4th Railway Supply Detachment and went to France on 14th Aug.1914. Does anybody know which companies went to make up which RSD and whether there was any relationship between the number of the RSD and the Division it served - eg did the 4th RSD work as part of the 4th Division?

Michael Townsend

Michael

There were eight ASC Railway Supply Detachments with the BEF in 1914. They do appear to have had parent companies, nor does there appear to have been any corelation with divisions although I am happy to be corrected.

Terry Reeves

The original BEF included the "Railway Transport Establishment" and 8th and 10th Railway Companies, both RE, according to Official History 1914 volume 1. Not sure how the 4th relates to these. I would have thought it unlikely that it relates to 4th Division at all, but especially as this did not come out until a little after the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th Divisions.

Thanks for the replies but I still would like advice on where to look next. I have consulted Michael Young's book and him personally by telephone. I have been to the Logistics Archives at Deepcut and I have tried Kew but the rather un-user friendly cataloguing system there defeated not just me but the staff member I asked too.Perhaps the IWM next.