The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RMS?HMS Orama 1&2

Guest Christopher Fagan

Guest Christopher Fagan

post-89086-0-09081600-1334146758.jpgI came to this site by coincidence, as I was searching for more on the RMS Orama and was unaware that there were in fact two ships bearing the same name, however it seems more than a coincidence that the first Orama was taken over by the Royal Navy as a troop ship and was sunk in 1916 and the second one built in 1924 was also comandeered, if that is is the correct word , by the Royal Navy as an armed troop ship and was sunk by the Hipper off Narvik in 1940. My Father was Chief Electrician and one of the 19 killed during the action. Unless I am looking in the wrong place there seems to be very little on the first Orama as it is with the scond, considering the tonnage sunk in WW11 this is I suppose not surprising.

However , considering the outpouring this year over the Titanic not sunk by enemy action but by an ice berg, this must have been the fault of someone, then what of the families of the seamen who lost their lives in both wars....all wars?

Not a lot of chance that the remaining relatives of those men, will ever go to the places where their remains lie fathoms down.