The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Wound stripe?

munchkin

Hi All,

On the photo below, the chap has got, what seems to be a downward facing stripe at the bottom of his left sleeve. Is this what is known as a wound stripe?.

Thanks

Glynn.

post-1-1091981083.jpg

Hmm... could just be folded material? There are several previous threads on wound stripes with many pics. for comparison. Try a search.

This might be an L/S Service Chevron,the Wound Stripe was a 2" Vertical stripe of Gilt Russian Lace or a Brass Facsimile of that worn further down the Cuff;North to South singly or in unison with others depending on how many times wounded the recipient was.

Harry - Again you have done it. I must be going mad. Of course it's a L/S Stripe, i have seen it before. Sorry to have troubled you.

Glynn.

I would concurr; looks like a single Good Conduct badge - inverted L/Cpl stripe - to signify a certain number of years of above service (4 years' service for each stripe?).

Richard

According to his MIC, he arrived in France in 10.09.1915 and was discharged 1.8.1916. This then could mean that he was a soldier before the war. But not knowing a lot about it i'm not sure. His number 14585. Would this suggest he was a regular or not?. (if you want to see his MIC it can be arranged.

Glynn.

Harry - Again you have done it. I must be going mad. Of course it's a L/S Stripe, i have seen it before. Sorry to have troubled you.

Glynn.

No trouble my pleasure; Im just glad to be of help,thats what makes this Forum work so well.Good Luck with your Research on Him! Regards Roger.{PS:Were all mad thats why we are here!! :blink: }

The number you have would appear to be a Kitchener Service Bn;Number[14585] for an Infantry Regiment,indicating a 1914 Enlistment,however he may well have had previous Military service up to 1914,& elected to join another Unit to get O/S earlier,I know of some local{to me} TF members who did this

Harry,

He was in the York & Lancs. Would this number tally up ?.

Glynn.

Harry,

He was in the York & Lancs. Would this number tally up ?.

Glynn.

Yes for a 1914 Enlistment,though it would also be the number of XXX number of Men in other such Battalions of Other Regiments,Not to Mention Other Corps[try typing this number only in the NA/PRO & see how many are returnedThis was way before individual permanent Numbering was put into place{1920s}When & If you can carry out further Research into him you may find he was serving pre War with another number,which wouldn't necessarily show up on the Index Card

Harry,

It does not. But what is interesting is that on his card he was a L/cpl and underneath that is a "X" and Pte. This could mean that he was a regular and rejoined maybe. Also i say he was discharged in 16., well maybe i have it wrong. On the left of the card under Remarks, it says "Diss 392/xv1 (i think). I took DIS as meaning discharged, i think i am wrong. Take a look at the card.

Glynn.

post-1-1091985766.jpg

Harry,

It does not. But what is interesting is that on his card he was a L/cpl and underneath that is a "X" and Pte. This could mean that he was a regular and rejoined maybe. Also i say he was discharged in 16., well maybe i have it wrong. On the left of the card under Remarks, it says "Diss 392/xv1 (i think). I took DIS as meaning discharged, i think i am wrong. Take a look at the card.

Glynn.

The "x" indicates the rank that was to appear on the Medals,Pte;,rather than L/Cpl

The SWB Roll Page Number is under "List"etc; You were right about the date of Discharge etc[The Numbers/Letters indicate the reason,as it appears on the Card!

PS:If & When you accquire the SWB Roll Page that will tell you hopefully when he enlisted{@ least when he enlisted with this Number?}How Old He was too sometimes!Keep us posted!