The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Eaton's and the Canadian Expeditionary Force

Bill Alexander

For forum members interested in the Canadian Expeditionary Force, there is a nominal roll of the T. Eaton's Company men who enlisted in the Canadian army. The roll can be found in Golden Jubilee 1869-1919, A Book to Commemorate the Fiftieth Anniversary of the T. Eaton Co. Limited. The book is not scarce, and may be worth adding to a research collection. Should anyone wish a name checked, I would be willing to review the list in my copy.

Eaton's founded by Ballymena man Timothy Eaton in 19th C . Balllymena RFC play at Eaton Park.

Sizeable numbers of Ballymena/Canadians in WW1 died and served. PM me if you are interested.

Des

Is there any mention of the Eaton Motor Machine Gun Battery of the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade. The Eaton Battery would have had a normal strength of 56 men.

Regards

Dwight Mercer, Regina, Canada

Hello Dwight, The chapter in the Eaton's book, strangely enough, makes no mention of the Battery. It does list approximately 3,300 of the Eaton's employees who enlisted in the service. In some cases the honours or awards are mentioned. It would be possible to cross reference with the battery nominal roll?

Thanks ... I find it odd there is no mention. Casualties in the "Suicide Squad" were rather high and one would think some memorial reference might have been made. The first batteries were raised by several millionaries with the Eatons providing funds for one of the batteries which became known as the Eaton Motor Machine Gun Battery. My late Grandfather was with the Borden. In addition there was the Yukon and the Sifton batteries.

Regards

- Dwight