The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

frank stockton great uncle

markankers

Hello everyone

does anyone know anything about my great uncle frank stockton private 10775 . he was in the cheshire regiment, and died in a french hospital on the 30th of septemer 1917.

many thanks

mark

I'm presuming that you'll have read the article as recommended at the top of this page and that, therefore, you've got all the basic information that's readily available. Presumably you've also checked out the local newspapers for the area where he lived to see if there was an obituary.

I see that there's a F Stockton commemorated on three war memorials at Weaverham, Cheshire. Could that be him?

Other than that, my guess is that his service number dates his enlistment to around early September 1914.

Is there anything specific you're after?

SDGW shows

Name: Frank Stockton

Birth Place: Witton, Ches.

Death Date: 30 Sep 1917

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Chester

Regiment: Cheshire Regiment

Battalion: 9th Battalion

Number: 10775

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

10870 Denney enlisted on 29 Aug 1914

I say that Frank enlisted either on that day or just before.

yes he was from weaverham cheshire, my grandmother showed me is name in the church in weaverham once.

I'm presuming that you'll have read the article as recommended at the top of this page and that, therefore, you've got all the basic information that's readily available. Presumably you've also checked out the local newspapers for the area where he lived to see if there was an obituary.

I see that there's a F Stockton commemorated on three war memorials at Weaverham, Cheshire. Could that be him?

Other than that, my guess is that his service number dates his enlistment to around early September 1914.

Is there anything specific you're after?

im realy trying to see if there is any way i can find out what he was doing the day he was injured. have you any ideas on how to find out, i dont think his service record is still around, as i looked for it on ansestry.com.

many thanks for your time

regards

mark

He was with the 9th Bn so it would be worth checking their war diary and see if it mentions him.

were is the best place to look for war diarys for the 9th bat?

many thanks

mark

There is a master list of war diaries which users have and can check for you. This list has the 9th bn war diary.

If you PM the user 'Simon2' he has a copy (not sure if he has the time period your after though) and may be able to help.

if there is any way i can find out what he was doing the day he was injured.

The difficulty here is that you do not know which day he was injured.

If I had to guess, then I'd say 20 September or shortly after (last time before the date of his death that 9/Cheshire was in a major action

http://www.stockport1914-1918.co.uk/battle_report.php?name=thebattleofthemeninroad9thbattalion

The difficulty here is that you do not know which day he was injured.

If I had to guess, then I'd say 20 September or shortly after (last time before the date of his death that 9/Cheshire was in a major action

http://www.stockport...oad9thbattalion

just looked at your link, more than likley that my uncle was injured on the 20/9/17. do you know if a casulty list is avable of the 27 men who died afler the battle on the 20th. my gran told me he was shot in the stomach and died at the hospital.

many thanks

mark

• 3 years later...

I have the WW1 War medal awarded to Private F Stockton 10775 Cheshire Regiment. I do not have the Victory medal or Death Plaque. I can be contacted at clive.waring@btopenworld.com. My Great Uncle was Private Randall Richard Stockton South Lancashire Regiment KIA who I am currently researching.

• 5 months later...

Hello CPW

Would you be interested in selling me franks medal, as it would be nice to put it back in the family

Regards mark

markankers@yahoo.com