The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Prisoner Photo

Guest redrum

At school I remember a press photo. in a large book of The Great War which has stuck in my memory ever since, it gave me the creeps. It was a portrait of a German p.o.w. who seemed quite old and mean, he was wearing regulation field-cap and ugly army issue spectacles with elastic loops over his ears. He looked a lot like Alf Garnet! The caption was "The Face of the Hun" and to me then he looked the epitome of the German enemy.

Can anyone recognise this photo description and maybe put a name to him?

At school I remember a press photo. in a large book of The Great War which has stuck in my memory ever since, it gave me the creeps. It was a portrait of a German p.o.w. who seemed quite old and mean, he was wearing regulation field-cap and ugly army issue spectacles with elastic loops over his ears. He looked a lot like Alf Garnet! The caption was "The Face of the Hun" and to me then he looked the epitome of the German enemy.

Can anyone recognise this photo description and maybe put a name to him?

-I remember this Photograph,A very sorry looking individual~reminiscent of John Lennon,or indeed my late Dads Brother Ron,who looked just like him!!!! :blink: