The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Warwickshire Regiment/29th Machine Gun Corps

michaeluk007

Can anyone help me with research of my grandfather. I am trying to find out which Company/Battalion he served with in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. His details are as follows 5264 Private Frank Nash.

He later served with the 29th Division Machine Gun Corps from mid 1918 & won the Military Medal. His service number was 90788.

If anyone can help me in research of my grandfather and in particular the Royal Warwickshire Regiment , please let me know.

Thanks

Michael:

Welcome to The Forum!

I see from the MIC online that his is there-maybe that will give you more info if you haven't already gotton it!

gordon

Medal card of Nash, Frank

Corps: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Regiment No: 5264

1914-1920 WO 372/14

Welcome to the forum, Michael

The only way you will get an answer to your question is by looking up the medal roll. A code for it will be given on the medal index card. The MIC rarely gives a battalion, the roll invariably does. The rolls are at the National Archive at Kew.

Michael,

His entry from my MGC Honours and Awards database:

90788 NASH F PTE MM 14/05/1919 6045 29 BN BIRMINGHAM

It means that the official notification of the award was in the London Gazette of 14 May 1919, Page 6045. Confirms his unit as 29 Bn MGC, or the Divisional Machine Gun Company of the 29th Division (a highly decorated unit, 29 Bn MGC) and his given place of residence at the time of award was Birmingham.

Unfortunately, due to the absence of MM citations for British troops, exacerbated by this being a post-war 'wash-up' notification (there were so many awards for the latter period of the war that they were still being notified well into 1919), it would be difficult to pinpoint a specific action which resulted in the award.

29 Bn was formed on 15 Mar 18 from 86, 87, 88 and 227 MG Coys. It served in Egypt and France; post-war it was in the Army of Occupation in the Rhineland. Its War Diary exists in WO95/2294 at the National Archives.