The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cedric Archer

Andrew P

Cedric Archer doesn't sound much like a Norwegian name but Cedric was born In Larvik Norway and arrived in Australia when he was 20 years old. According to the National Archive site he was naturalised in 1915.

He then enlisted into the AIF and was ultimately assigned to the 9th Battalion where he was killed at Harbonnieres during the battle of Amiens on the 10th of August. The battle had started 2 days previously.

The 9th Battalion which was part of the 1st Division had only recently come down from arround Merris.

Archer, Cedric

Number: 2557A

Unit: 9th Bn Australian Inf

Service: Army

Conflict: 1914-1918

Date of Death: 10/08/1918

Place of Death:

Cause of Death: Killed in action

Memorial Panel: 54

Cemetery or Memorial Details: France 526 Heath Cemetery Harbonnieres

Next Of Kin:

Place Of Enlistment: Banana, QLD

Native Place:

Notes: ARCHER, Serjt. Cedric, 2557A. 9th Bn. Australian Inf. Killed in action 10th Aug., 1918. Age 26. Son of Louisa S. Archer, of Tolderodden, Larvik, Norway, and the late James G. L. Archer. IV. I. 11.

Source: AWM145 Roll of Honour cards, 1914-1918 War, Army

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Andrew,

Thank you for sharing that information, I am very interested myself in the oral-history of the World War as well as the life of ordinary soldiers before and during the war. These documents give you a much better understanding of each soldier in the trenches. When you look at a photograph of various soldiers, all shapes and sizes operating a Howitzer Artillery Gun, you take a look closely and fully realize that these men all have a name, an identity...a life.

-Doughboy