The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

were they brothers ?

Hi all I need some help with two soldiers I think were brothers.C S M. William Reynolds,6825 2nd.Bedfordshire regiment my great grandfather and Lance corporal Edward Reynolds,4112 9th (queen's Royal) Lancers, his brother? Both were from St Albans in hertfordshire.We have been led to believe by my late grandmother that they were related.I am new to all this reserch and struggling a bit.I am also at a loss as to why there is only one Reynolds on our citys war memorial when according to soldiers died they were born and resided in St Albans.Any help please.

Regards Neale

Possibly the one who is missing from the Memorial had moved from St Albans prior to enlistment & when names were submitted was not put forward,some towns recorded those born there others just those who were living there @ time of enlistment,perhaps he was recorded on a local Village Memorial??

A quick check of the 1901 Census shows a William Reynolds aged 18 as a Private Infantry Soldier,listed as born in St Albans,but no home town given @ that time,so I would imagine if this is he this may well confirm my theory that if he is the Unrecorded one,it was as he no longer lived in the area having accepted the Queen's/King's Shilling in 1901!

william is the Reynolds on the memorial.so far I have come up with nothing really for Edward.can you give me a reference number for William on the census ?.I had no luck finding that.

william is the Reynolds on the memorial.so far I have come up with nothing really for Edward.

Hi Neale

Had this with my relative too. As his next of kin didnt return the Final verification form in the early 1920's, they looked at his last known family's place of residence when deciding what memorial to put him on (Kettering in his case, although lived in and enlisted into a Beds Regmnt).

Good luck & hope this helps :huh:

Steve

william is the Reynolds on the memorial.so far I have come up with nothing really for Edward.can you give me a reference number for William on the census ?.I had no luck finding that.

S*ds Law!!!

William Reynolds born St Albans;thats all I put in,I didnt get a Ref No: :)