The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Terrain, Excellent World War One Authors and WWI U-Boat books

Tuscania1918

Hello Everyone:

I am in search of suggestions for the best books of John Terraine to read about WWI. It was suggested I put the question on the forum. I am interested in the U-Boat WWI wars and in WWI in general. I am also in search of authors, too, who have written on WWI who are considered scholars or very knowledgeable in the first world war. I am also in search of articles, books, newspaper clippings about the Tuscania, Otranto, casualties/survivors of the tragedies as well as articles ect..written about UB-Captain Wilhelm Mayer of UB-77. I was wondering if he had ever written anything of his own on the U-Boat subject. Anything anyone can help with is appreciated.

WorldWarOne234

John's excellent work on the U-boat wars is titled "Business in Great Waters". It has been reprinted on several occasions and should be readily available in the used book market.

Partial bibliog

Mons: The Retreat to Victory (1960).

Douglas Haig: The Educated Soldier (1963).

General Jack's Diary (1964).

The First World War (1965).

Trafalgar (1975).

The Road to Passchendaele (1977).

To Win A War: 1918, the Year of Victory (1978).

The Smoke and the Fire (1980).

The Right of the Line (1985).

Business in Great Waters: The U-Boat Wars, 1916-1945 (1989).

The R of the L is particularly good if you fancy going off topic

regards

david

• 3 months later...

I have just started reading Business in Great Waters. I find it easy to read and most informative. My previous Great War reading had been almost entirely land based. May I add that I joined the WFA and thus came across the forum having noted a reference to the WFA in John Terraine's obituary. He was one of the finest writers on the Great War in my opinion.

Old Tom

Hello Everyone:

I am in search of suggestions for the best books of John Terraine to read about WWI. It was suggested I put the question on the forum. I am interested in the U-Boat WWI wars and in WWI in general. I am also in search of authors, too, who have written on WWI who are considered scholars or very knowledgeable in the first world war. I am also in search of articles, books, newspaper clippings about the Tuscania, Otranto, casualties/survivors of the tragedies as well as articles ect..written about UB-Captain Wilhelm Mayer of UB-77. I was wondering if he had ever written anything of his own on the U-Boat subject. Anything anyone can help with is appreciated.

WorldWarOne234

Funny you should mention John Terraine - his books White Heat: The New Warfare, 1914-18 and The Smoke and the Fire: Myths and Anti- Myths of War, 1861-1945 were probably the first two " proper" books I read as a 12 year old on Warfare - no doubt the Prolific Mr Terraine helped to get me hooked!

Bill,

Not sure, my filing system leaves much to be desired. I will search, but doubt I can copy it. Try the Times web site.

Old Tom

• 1 month later...

Dear Old Tom:

Were you ever able to find the item you mentioned from the Times web site. I just didn't have any luck finding it. Please if possible would appreciate your assistance.

Bill