The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

6th Bn South Lancs Regt

dv-367

Would anyone happen to know the company my great-grandfather served in? He was Pte. William Collins 11435, serving with the 6th Bn.,South Lancashire Regiment.

Regards

David

In memory of Pte. William Collins 11345, 6th Bn., South Lancashire Regiment KIA 11th January 1917 at Kut-al-Amara

Hi David.

Are you David H Ive already been mailing today? Looked on ur profile and it doesnt say. If not, both of you are looking into the same unit mate! May be able to help each other?

Can only offer Gallipoli Diary entries for the 6th, so cannot advise which Co he was in Im sorry to say. Thinking out loud; if you really draw a blank, and he was TF pre war, you may be able to track down the TF's 'musters' (dont know their corrrect title, but 'Army Book 220' was sited for the 5th Beds TF) from their training days to establish which Co? Perhaps ... :huh:

Guest David Hughes

Hi Steve

I'm the David H you e-mailed today. The David above is somebody else and we've been talking to each other already. My grandad Private Robert Hughes 11020 was also 6th Battalion South Lancs Regiment, but I've no idea which company he was in. If there's anybody out there who can help both Davids get down to that level of detail, I'd be grateful. Would a service record show this, provided it wasn't already destroyed of course?

:) Hi Steve & David!

Thanks for explaining things David, I'm David Sankey BTW or (dv-367) Steve I think my great-grandfather landed on Gallipoli on the 7th July 1915 at W Beach & camped at Gully Ravine, ..... Davids Grandfather was probably in the 6th bn landings on that date too!

We just need to find out what Co they were both in, unfortunately I have very little family information has both grandparents have passed away sometime now, so I'm working from name & serial no & what other information I can find!

David if I should come up with anything relevant for your own grandfather in the process of my research I'll pass it on.

Thanks again Steve!

Hi Davids!!! Whats the betting another Dave joins in, just to confuse thick old me even more! 2 Daves on the 6th Lancs the same week, lovely coincidence!

Dave H; Hi mate; didnt like to use your surname, in case u dont use it on the web! If you can get the service record, it has all sorts in it; well worth getting if available!

Hi Dave S; if its any use to you, I can mail the same word doc I mailed Dave H? Covers the units movements from June / July 1915 to their departure from Gallipoli in Dec 1915. Mail or pm me your mail address and will do. Have you already got his cwgc details and MIC?

Steve

David H:

Here's from the CWGC:

Casualty Details

Name: COLLINS, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: South Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/01/1917

Service No: 11435

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 23

Cemetery: BASRA MEMORIAL

gordon

David H:

Here's from the CWGC:

Casualty Details

Name: COLLINS, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: South Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/01/1917

Service No: 11435

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 23

Cemetery: BASRA MEMORIAL

gordon

Hi Gordon,

I'm David S. & William Collins is my great Grandfather! Sorry about the confusion :blink: but David H grandfather is:

Pte. Robert Hughes, 11020 6th Bn South Lancashire Regiment, if I'm not mistaken he was wounded in Gallipoli!

David S.