The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Trilogy on World war experience

Marilyne

Hi,

My mom and her colleagues from the bookstore have asked me a question. a customer of theirs has come in and asked the for some books but did not know the title. Here's their mail.

there is a trilogy, non -fiction ( so true stories) about people's experiences from different countries for the 1st and 2nd World War.

Not a new series, but published in the last 4-5 years, we think.

Any idea about the title or the authors??

I first thought of the "Birdsong" and further books trilogy, but that's not it.

Any ideas?? they always keep WWI books for me in store, so as a return favour, I'd like to be able to answer their question.

Thanks!!

Marilyne

• Admin

FWIW I Wonder if they are talking about the Forgotten Voices series or the IWM sound archive http://www.forgottenvoices.co.uk/

bit more than a trilogy now as new titles are being added all the time

(The only trilogy I know that is always referred to as such is Pat Barker's Regeneration Trilogy - which is of course fiction)

Ken

This is I am sure not the book you are looking for, but it is the only one I know about war that has trilogy in the title. It is the wrong date, published in 1929, it is fiction, but it is about The Great War. It is called The Spanish Farm Trilogy, by R G Mottram. It is incidentally an excellent book.

Could it be Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy (which in my opinion syarts brilliantly lt and declines over the next two volumes)?

The only other titles that come to mind are the three books edited by Michael Moynihan=1.A place called Armageddon(letters of the Great war) 2.Greater Love(letters home 14-18)3.The people's war 1914-18(and The people's war 39-45).Although these were published in the 70's and 80's.

Blackmaria, those volumes of letters sound interesting. Have you read them? Do they tend more towards military or social history?

Hi Rose of Picardy,they are on my" must read sometime list" together with many others,but i have had a quick look through them and they are mostly military letters with a section of civilian letters,although "A place called Armageddon" appears to be all military.

I have not got the WW2 book.

Best Wishes,

John.