The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Second Lieutenant G W Fosbery

Anthony Bagshaw

Thought i would share my research with the forum:

George William Fosbery was born in Collingham, Newark on November 16th 1881. He was the youngest son of the Reverend George William Fosbery (reverend of the parish of South Collingham, Notts) and Francis Simpson Fosbery. He was the grandson of Commander Godfrey Fosbery, who served with the Royal Navy. (In 1815 Commander Fosbery was a Lieutenant)

George was educated at King Edward 7th Grammar School in King’s Lynn.

He attested as 2149 Pte G W Fosbery on September 3rd 1914 for the 8th Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters at Newark. His age is shown as 32 years and 10 months, height 6 feet 2 inches, that he was un-married and gives his trade as an accountant. His Next of Kin is given as his Mother Francis Fosbery of Lutterworth, Leicestershire.

George was promoted to Lance Corporal on October 11th 1914 and Corporal November 1st 1914. He applied for a Commission on January 17th 1915 and was granted the rank of Second Lieutenant on February 27th 1915. The 8th Battalion crossed to France on this very same day.

On May 19th 1915 it was at Kemmel where Second Lieutenant Fosbery was severely wounded. He was shot through the chest and right lung, most probably by a sniper, whilst examining telephone wires. The Battalion war diary states that he was wounded at 3pm in the afternoon.

The bullet that had severely wounded George had entered the chest between the 6th and 7th ribs near the inner edge of the scapula. The exit wound was 2 inches below the clavicle on the right side of the chest. He was 80% disabled due to the extent of his injuries and the medical report states that his right shoulder was dropped.

(His wound was reported in the Newark Advertiser dated Wednesday June 30th 1915)

He left France via Boulogne on June 4th 1915 en route for Dover, aboard the ship St David, where he arrived the same day.

He attended a Medical Board on June 11th 1915 and was granted leave until September 11th. He remained on the strength of the Battalion until 1916 before relinquishing his commission due to ill health. He was granted the honourable rank of Second Lieutenant in July 1916.

He was awarded a Silver War Badge in respect of his services. He was also the recipient of the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Unfortunately i cannot find a photo of him. I have tried the Newark Advertiser and even the Collingham paper but to no avail.

If anyone can help me i would be extremely grateful for your assistance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried the Sherwood Foresters Museum for a photo of 2nd Lt Fosbery but they do not hold one.

Anyone have any idea where i could try?

Long shot i know but worth it if there is one anywhere

The school still exists and as has been suggested above, is likely to have an archive. School magazines are often a good bet.

Contact details are:

Gaywood Rd

King's Lynn

Norfolk

PE30 2QB

Tel 01553 773606

Terry Reeves

Hugh, Terry,

Never thought of that. Thankyou. I wil be straight onto it tonight.

Thanks again