The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

War at sea - suggestions

Alix23

I've just been informed of the topics I'll be writing about in my GCSE History Controlled Assesment (the new coursework) which are The Trenches and the War at Sea. Although I've read a lot about the Great War the latter is relatively unknown to me so I was hoping someone could suggest a book or two that gave a good overview of it to help me out.

The only slight problem is that we don't know yet whether the work will be on WW1, WW2 or both, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough!

Thank you for any help at all

Hi Alix

Can I suggest you edit your title and include 'War at sea'? That way you'll attract the attention of the people who may be able to help. :)

I think you might have to go into full edit mode to change your title.

Gwyn

I think Robert Massie did two books about the naval build-up before the war and possibly covers the war at sea itself-"Dreadnaught" and "Castles of Steel." This isn't my topic and I only read the first book. I am sure others will come in to back this up or give more details!

If you are starting from scratch on maritime warfare, a good, ground-level, single-volume introduction to the subject is "The Imperial War Museum Book of the War at Sea 1914-1918" by Julian Thompson, ISBN 0 283 07354 3

Thank you for the suggestions, we're visiting the IWM next week, so hopefully after some clarification I'll buy one or two.

Castles of Steel is rife with errors and is Britain-Germany centric, but that I imagine any First World War War at Sea module would be similarly focussed. Paul G. Halpern's A Naval History of World War I is quite cheap and contains less errors, and also covers the naval war across the entire world. I got my paperback copy from Foyles on the Charing Cross Road in London a couple of years ago. Thompson's book will just be full of endless eyewitness accounts which tend to distract rather than inform (opinion given, ducks for cover).

Simon

Unfortunately A Naval History of World War I seems to not be so cheap anymore, amazon is offering it for £50 and up

We recieved the tasks today, which are on the trenches in WW1 and the war at sea over both world wars.

Alix

For WW2 (excuse me switching wars briefly folks) a source not many people will have read is "The Royal Naval Medical Service. Vol.2. Operations" by J.L.S. Coulter HMSO, 1956 - if you're feeling really dedicated you could read Vol. 1. Administration as well, but frankly Vol.2 is much more exciting. You should be able to get a copy via your local public library's inter-library loan service.

For WW1 if you wanted a medical parallel you could read Tom Kirk's (1899-2004) chapter in Max Arthur's "Last post" (London: Phoenix, 2006, pp. 145-169) or W.S. Sykes "Some experiences of a Surgeon Probationer" (Journal of the Royal Naval Medical Service, vol. 3 (1917), p. 332-336). If you'd like a copy of Sykes' piece PM me and let me know: he was aboard a destroyer, possibly in the North Sea, but otherwise unidentified as to ship or location. I may be able to find out which with a little more research.

seaJane

Unfortunately A Naval History of World War I seems to not be so cheap anymore, amazon is offering it for £50 and up

We recieved the tasks today, which are on the trenches in WW1 and the war at sea over both world wars.

Plenty of copies of Halpern on Bookfinder for under £20. Excellent book indeed although probably a little in-depth for GCSE level (unless it's changed in the 25 years since I took mine); on the flip side, it's the best single book on the war at sea and its scope is all-embracing.

Julian Thompson's book is filled with first-hand accounts from the ordinary sailors who were there (and copies are only 1p on Amazon...) as is his WW2 book. For WW1 there's also Richard Hough's Great War at Sea which focuses on the RN-Imperial German Navy clash - readily available for under £5 second-hand.

For WW2, the best book on the experience of the ordinary British sailor is Glyn Prysor's very recent Citizen Sailors ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Sailors-Royal-Second-World/dp/0141046325/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1338366799&sr=8-4 )

Thank you for even more suggestions! The tasks are on a comparison of importance of the war at sea between WW1 and WW2 so we won't be doing them in too much depth, but still interested in reading everything I can, particularly as I had relatives in both the US and UK Navy in WW2

• 1 year later...

For WW1 there's also Richard Hough's Great War at Sea which focuses on the RN-Imperial German Navy clash - readily available for under £5 second-hand.

For those with a Kindle, this is book is free on Amazon at the moment