The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Percy Lyle ?

JulianB

I'm wondering if some pals may be able to help over a puzzle.

I have a letter written from France by my grandfather in Feb 1917 to his parents at home (Birkenhead) which includes "I was v. sorry to hear about Percy Lylle, was he wounded or died of sickness?"

I assumed that "wounded" meant he was a soldier so, I looked for a PL on CWGC and in SDGW but drew a blank in both cases.

The I looked up PL in MIC online and found a Percy Lyle Pte 50250 Welsh Regiment, this single L was not in CWGC or SDGW either.

Then I looked for a Percy Lyle on the 1901 census and found a 9 year old in Cardiff, moreover, FreeBMD had a Percy Bray Lyle born in Cardiff in 1891.

I have no idea how my grandfather might have known PL, if this as the chap. Was he mistaken about a death ??, OR might PL have died at home and therefore not recorded in CWGC or SDGW ???

It is possible that PL might have been in Whitchurch in July 1916 as a letter from gt uncle (from Prees Heath camp) notes "We called on Percy's house in Whitchurch yesterday but he wasn't in "

I have no idea if this was the same chap !!

I'd be grateful for any ideas or advice

thanks

Julian

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Interesting - a couple of suggestions:

1. Percy was actually his middle name, but his preferred name.

2. Percy was a nickname.

3. Percy Lyle was an alias.

Ian

(...) I have a letter written from France by my grandfather in Feb 1917 to his parents at home (Birkenhead) which includes "I was v. sorry to hear about Percy Lylle, was he wounded or died of sickness?" I assumed that "wounded" meant he was a soldierĀ  (...)

Julian,

To be honest, when I read : "Was he wounded or died of sickness", I spontaneously interpreted this that P.L. probably was not a soldier. Don't you think that if he had been a soldier your grandfather would have written : Was he killed in action or died of wounds ?

Isn't it possible that your grandad must have been informed about the death of someone from the town or village, or a common friend or acquaintance, not serving in the army ?

Of course it is also possible that your grandfather before writing his letter had been informed that soldier P.L. had died after having been transferred back to the UK as a casualty, and so knew that he was not KIA.

(I must add that I was interested in your posting because I remembered that a month or so ago I took a photo for a Forum member in the Ypres Salient, and thought I remembered that maybe ... 'Unfortunately' it was of a Percy Lilly, and the man had died in August 1917. Anyway, good luck with the search.)

Aurel

Julian,

What about this man (found on SDGW after asking for Percy LY*)

Percy Robert LYTLE

Royal Garrison Artillery

Gunner

Enlisted Liverpool

Residence Birkenhead, Cheshire

Died of Wounds 2 Feb 1917

Formerly 1439, L & C RGA

Well, the date matches (early Feb 1917)

DOW matches

Residence Birkenhead matches (grandad's parents lived there)

And maybe what you read as Lylle was Lytle ? TL and LL are pretty close.

Or if it was Lylle indeed, then grandad may have made a mistake ?

Hopes this helps.

I will find out on CWGC now where he is buried.

Aurel

Julian,

Completing the picture :

Percy's parents : Robert Lytle and Emily

Address : Victoria Road, Birkenhead, Liverpool

Percy was born in Lack, Co. Fermanagh

And he was buried at Lyssenthoek Cemetery Poperinge (XI.A.1)

Perhaps next time when I am in the area (I live 7-8 miles from there) you want me to take a photo of Percy's headstone ? (That is if he is the man you are looking for of course ...)

Aurel