The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

FORCED LABOUR IN SALT MINES (BAVARIA)

Guest cantabile

Guest cantabile

Hi I'm new to this lovely website but am researching my late grandfather who was a solder in 14-18. He was in the KRRC then Machine Gun Corps, captured (not sure when but believe it may have been the Somme) and held prisoner for almost 2 years in Bavaria where he lived rough in a field with sacking tied on his feet and was marched daily to the nearby salt mine for forced labour. Anyone got a similar bit of history? I cannot find much on this aspect of the war even with wonderful Google.
Hope to find a mutual interest,
cantabile smile.gif

try and get hold of a book entitled " Prisoners of the kaiser", it will give an insight to the POW situation.

Hi

Another good book to read is Silent Battle: Canadian Prisoners of War in Germany, 1914-1919 by Desmond Morton (1992). Whilst the book deals with the experiences of Canadian soldiers there is a lot of information about the conditions in salt mines.

Regards

Steve

Guest Pete Wood

If you check the PoW index, newly online at the Great War Forum http://www.1914-1918.net/POW/index.php you may find your man is listed...?

What you will definitely find are reports on soldiers who were also forced to work in the salt mines (and coal mines also). If you read their reports, it will also give you a better idea of the terrible conditions these men were forced to endure.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi I'm new to this lovely website but am researching my late grandfather who was a solder in 14-18. He was in the KRRC then Machine Gun Corps, captured (not sure when but believe it may have been the Somme) and held prisoner for almost 2 years in Bavaria where he lived rough in a field with sacking tied on his feet and was marched daily to the nearby salt mine for forced labour. Anyone got a similar bit of history? I cannot find much on this aspect of the war even with wonderful Google.

Hope to find a mutual interest,

cantabile :)

My Grandfather was captured in November 1914 and after his third escape attempt was sent to work in the salt mines - possibly near Saltzburg. I don't know of his experiences beyond that - unfortunately he doesn't appear in the POW database.

I'm going to have to have a look at Emden's and Morton's books now!

Geoff