The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What are the WW1 British Militaria Collecting Bible(s) ?

viking_raid

What is the WW1 British Militaria Collecting Bible(s) ?

I'm looking for a book or series of books that covers WW1 British Militaria (uniforms, equipment, medals etc.) Any suggestions ?

For badges :

"Head-Dress Badges of the British Army" Volume 1 'to the end of the Great War'

Arthur L Kipling and Hugh L King (often referred to as K&K)isbn 1843425122 479pp

This book is often cited as the 'industry standard' for badge collectors. My own opinion is that although this may be so, the quality of the photographs (B/W) is pretty poor for the price.In my own volume some are completely indistinguishable. My copy is the 2006 reprint and other editions may be available. The text is tight and to the point and the more obscure badges may be found here.

"Military Badge Collecting" John Gaylor.

Pub' Seeley Service and Co (possibly now Pen and Sword).

I've had a copy of this since 1971 when it was first published. Never seen it bettered for content or range, very much a field guide peppered with relevant facts. Very accessible with a user friendly index. Crisp and clear black and white plates. Not as comprehensive as K&K but seldom misses for any but the most esoteric of collectors. If not still in print scour the web for a second hand copy. 150 pages of Text and 51 plates.

"British Army Cap Badges of the First World War"

Peter Doyle and Chris Foster. Shire Publications £14.99 isbn 978-0-74780-797-1. 2010

128pp.

Excellent photographs (colour) with an interesting background narrative and concise text. Best photographs of the three volumes I've recommended.

My advice ? You'll not go far wrong with a copy of both Gaylor and Doyle/Foster on your bookshelves. I do reach for K&K occasionally but to be honest not often enough to warrant the investment. If your interests precede WW1 then K&K is a must, volume 2 covers 1919-1979 but as this is outside my area of interest I do not have a copy.

One note of caution is that none of these volumes specifically cover collar badges.

Regards

Suddery

Perfect ! Thanks for the info. cheers

British Uniforms & Equipment of the Great War Vol 1 Clothing and Necessaries by John Bodsworth.

History of the British Army Infantry Collar Badge Colin Churchill.

Military Badges of the British Empire 1914-1918.

British Battles and Medals Spink.