The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Prince of Wales

Ali Hollington

Just been reading a section of the Grenadier Guards history and it makes a reference to the high esteem with which the POW was held and his frequent appearances in the trenches. In one passage it mentions the POW taking potshots at the germans and possibly registering some hits. Is this backed up in any other sources or possibly at bit of "spin"?

Ali

• 3 months later...

Ali

I too have read loads of stories about the POW at war. One thing we can say is that he demonstrated an acute willingness to get involved and get stuck in. When he was training with the 1st Bn G G in 1914 he was most upset to get transferred out just when it was announced that they were going to the front. I quote from my book that one day ( when I finally finish it ) might get published:

The Prince, however, was not happy to be left behind and immediately stormed over to Buckingham Palace, conveniently only a few hundred yards from Wellington Barracks, to confront his father over this decision:

It was a terrible blow to my pride, the worst in my life. I went at once to my father at the Palace and, trying to conceal my bitterness, asked why this had to be. My father answered that it was not his wish but Lord Kitchener’s. ‘Lord Kitchener,’ he said ‘does not want you to go to France just now’.The Prince then managed to secure an interview with Lord Kitchener, Secretary of State for War, Despite his protestations to the effect that he was expendable “as he had four brothers” he was firmly put in his place. Kitchener’s steely blue eyes fixed the Prince as he replied:

“If I were sure that you would be killed, I do not know if I should be right to restrain you. But I cannot take the chance, which always exists until we have a settled line, of the enemy taking you prisoner”.

And so, due to the immovable resolve of lord Kitchener, the Prince of Wales was transferred, very much against his wishes, to the 3rd Battalion of the Grenadier Guards.

You might find more details about his war exploits in the POW's own book“A Kings Story – The memoirs of the HRH the Duke of Windsor”. I'd just like to add that my book at the 1st bn in 1914 has a better title and will also be a much better read!

And finally.....there is no doubt that he was a brave man especially if the rumours about Wallace were right!

Dave

Ali

Some more POW trivia for you:

He wasn't always held in high esteem, eEspecially not by the 1st bn in 1914 as they knew that while he was serving with them they wouldn't be going on active service. When news of the 2nd Bn's actions early in the war reached then they couldn't wait for him to leave.

I quote from the memoirs of QMS Brown of the POW's Kings Company:

“Orders were received to change quarters. Destination a close secret. This time it was confidentially tipped by the knowing ones as the real thing, for the band of the regiment was to parade with the battalion, and – most convincing point of all – “The Prince of Wales to be transferred to the Third Battalion” appeared in orders that day. This duly happened, and the next morning we marched into Waterloo Station with the band playing the “British Grenadiers”,

As you probably know the Kings Company were always filled with the tallest of the Guards and the POW was atatched to them because he was a royal. There are several pictures of him marching through London in August 1914 with this comapany and he appears to be a schoolboy amongst his men. This was something he was well aware of and he alludes to this in his book:

“This was a special honour, since my modest 5 feet 7 inches failed by a conspicuous margin to meet the minimum height of 6 feet required for officers and men of this Company. I was a pygmy among giants.”

Dave

post-1-1100640020.jpg

Whilst I don`t doubt the POW`s wish to see action, I wouldn`t have thought that taking a few potshots, probably from way back, counts as sniping. To call it as such rather downgrades what was an arduous, skilful and dangerous job. :angry: Phil B

I wasn't trying to degrade the skills of a sniper. But then surely even take a shot from "way back" suggests being within small arms range, in itself a bt dangerous.

Ali

Dave, thanks for that bit of information as I previously couldn't figure out why the 1st Battalion hadn't been involved in the early actions of the war. :)

Sorry Ali - I wasn`t thinking that you were trying to "diss" the snipers. It`s just that it seemed not unusual for an officer to stroll along, take a few potshots and then clear off for a snifter, leaving the trench occupants to take the retaliation - rather like trench mortars. And you could take potshots from a mile or so back! Phil B