The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd/8th Worcestershire Regt.

Ferguson73uk

After a day in the NA on Wednesday I finally tracked down the srvice record of my Great-Uncle, a 2nd Lt. in the 2/8th Worcestershire Regt. I understand that this regt. was attached to the 183rd Brigade (2nd Glos. & Worc.) Brigade (61st (2nd South Midland Division)) during his period of service from April to August 1918. During this time he was gassed on 24/4/18, buried by a shell blast on 18/7/18 (near Robecq) and finally captured by a German raiding party on 12/13th August 1918, escaped and returned to the British lines, unable to speak, deaf and with shell-shock. Incredible. I'm off to the Somme and Ypres next week and if anyone could tell me where this officer could have served so I can visit the sites I'd be really grateful!

Thanks!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan -

There's an awful lot on the 2/8th in 1918 in the Regimental History.

I've turned a fair bit of it into copy - but there are maps etc. that you might like that are a bit impractical to copy.

If you'd like what I have, contact me off list and I'll mail it to you.

You might like to invest in a CD ROM copy of the Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War which is only about 12 quid and would tell you an awful lot.

Try: http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/cgi-..../military.html

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jonathan

Your great uncle wouldn't be 2/Lt E H Allard would he?

Unfortunately my post isn't in time for your trip to the battlefields, but there's always next time!

If he is Allard, there is only one mention of him in the Regimental History, I can give you more details if you want.

He is not mentioned among the list of officers involved with the Battalion on the first day of the German Spring Offensive when the unit lost nearly all of its fighting strength, taken prisoner or wounded, defending the forward zone in front of St Quentin. I would imagine he was a reinforcement to the battalion when it was brought up to strength in April 1918.

The unit went on to fight in 1918 at the Passage of the Lys, Hazebrouck, Selle, and Valenciennes.

Hope of some use!

Paul

Thanks for the reply, Paul.

No, his name was 2/Lt H.O. Fielding. I've managed to get hold of a copy of the regimental history on CD Rom which is proving of great help.

Jonathan