The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Field Artillery

Ferguson73uk

My grandfather was with the following units according to his service record: D/75th Brigade as a gunner, then B/41st Brigade as a Bombardier. As he enlisted on 31st August 1914 should he have been attached to New Army units after training? However, these units were not NA. Any help with placing the service of these two brigades would be much appreciated. (He was gassed in early August 1918)

Thanks!

Jonathan

Thanks, Jock, but, as I wrote, it doesn't seem to tally with what I would expect i.e. 75th is a regular unit; he would have been in a 'Kitchener' unit wouldn't he?

Jonathan

Not necessarily, Jonathan. Men who volunteered for the new armies did not always end up there. Many were sent as replacement drafts to regular units from quite early on. As the war progressed and men were returning from being wounded, sick etc they were increasingly liable for being posted anywhere a man was needed.

Same goes for the territorials apparently. My grandfather enlisted in May 1915 with the 1/7th Gordon Highlanders but was posted to the 1st battalion on his arrival in France in September 1915.

Kilty.