The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Truly moving

Desmond7

Hi all - I'be been catching up with some typing and I was struck by this one .. I think it is magnificent.

2nd Lt. B. J. McCann

We regret to announce this week, the death in action of 2nd Lt. B. J. McCann, Royal Irish Rifles. The official intimation, which was received on Sunday last by his father, Mr. Hugh mcCann of Broughshane Road, Ballymena, stated that the sad event happend on November 14th and the news occasioned considerable regret when it became known.

Deceased, who was only 22 years of age, enlisted in the Connaught Rangers as a private, about two years ago and, after training at Fermoy and in the Cadet Corps he volunteered for the 10th (Irish) Division and went to the Dardanelles where he was transferred to the Munster Fusiliers, with whom he took part in the landing at Suvla Bay.

He was subsequently wounded and invalided home. He obtained his commission in July last and was attached to the Royal Irish Rifles. After further training at Clandeboye, he proceeded to the front about 11 weeks ago.

Prior to enlisting he was employed by Mr. John P. McCann, solicitor, Ballymena. The deceased who was most popular in local football circles was a brother in law to Mr. Charles Connell JP and to Mr. J. Marley, postmaster, Ballymena.

At a subsequent meeting of Ballymena Urban District Council, the following eloquent tribute was paid by a Cllr. Beaumont.

The Observer reported: “He called to mind an incident which had impessed him some years ago, at an annual prize distribution of the Ballymena Academy. On being called to the platform to receive his prize, Bertie McCann got such a rousing reception from his schoolfellows that a friend seated beside him in the hall remarked that he would rather have had that reception - which was a striking testimony to his popularity - than the best prize given away that day.”

At the weekly meeting of Ballymena Gaelic Class a resolution of sympathy with the relatives of the deceased officer was passed. As a mark of respect, the teaching of Irish Dancing was adjourned for the evening.

Ballymena Observer, November 24, 1916

Sorry thought I had more .. must chase him up. This just gives the reserve btn. as his unit but he was attached to one of the lower numbered RIR btns.

McCANN B. J. 2nd Lt. 18th Btn. RIR (22) Died 14/11/1916. Son of Hugh and Ellen McCann of Galgorm Road, Ballymena. Buried in La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery

Edited by Desmond7