The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

23rd Bat Middlesex Reg

Barry S

Could anyone please tell me the approximate location of the 23rd Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment on the 9-10th September 1918?

I've come across a local chap that moved from the Yorkshire Regiment to the Middlesex Regiment and was KIA on the above date, to the best of my knowledge there were no major Battles taking place; he's buried at Lijssenthoek near Poperinge/Ypres.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers

Barry

Hello Barry!

I checked in Wyrall's 2 volume "The Die-Hards in the Great War", but unfortunately there is nothing mentioned for the day in question. The nearest date it mentions is the 6th September, when the battalion was: "out of the line, working on the defences at Ouderdom." (page 244) The next mention they get is when they advanced on the 29th September, into Houtham Village. Sorry I couldn't help, but I'm sure someone else out there has got some info.

All the best,

Tony

If it's any help, the 123rd Inf Bde (in which 23 Middx was) seems to have been out of the line and at Esquerdes. On 8th Sept 48 men of 23rd were att to the Bde MG Coy, . 9th was a sunday.

I'm interested in that Bde (esp the 123 MGCoy) so if you had any more info on 23 Mddx I'd like to learn) I have looked up 23 Mddx WD but don't have the ref on me right now

Julian

Thanks for the info, plotted the dates and places, seems they were moving back from the line 6th through 8th. The man in question is Albert Ernest Hawkins SDGW has him down as KIA 10/09/1918 but CWGC has him as 09/09/1918.

Just wonder if SDGW KIA is wrong maybe DOW.

Just did a quick search SDGW five lads of the 23rd died between 01/09/18 and 25/09/18 all DOW except Albert, one was also from Stockton-on-Tees as was Albert.

Does anyone know the last engagement for the 123rd Brigade 23rd Battalion?

Barry

Hello again Barry!

Again, according to the Middlesex Regt. book by Wyrall, the 23rd Battalion had a comparatively quiet time of it from May until August 1918. The following is all that is mentioned in the book:

On the 21st/22nd May the Battalion "took over front line trenches south-east of Potizje. There is nothing to record of this tour which was followed by a month out of the line in training. On the 1st of July the Battalion proceeded to the Kemmel front, moving into the forward trenches that night and relieving French troops. But here again, though movement of the enemy was reported, the Middlesex do not appear to have taken much part in pressing him back."

And that's it, I'm afraid, until the quote I gave you earlier about the 6th September. I think your theory that it should read DOW for your your man is quite likely.

All the best,

Tony