The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A new way to have your KIA researched

museumtom

Seems to me the crucial paragraph is

THE AMOUNT OF MONEY SPENT WHILST BIDDING (IF THE FINAL PRICE IS LOWER THAN THE COST FOR THE PROJECT), WILL DETERMINE THE AMOUNT OF RESEARCH WE WILL DO. YOU MAY INCREASE THE MONEY IN YOUR ACCOUNT AFTER BIDDING HAS ENDED OR AT ANY POINT DURING THE PROJECT, SO MORE RESEARCH CAN BE DONE IF NEEDED.

i.e. bid £5 and then we'll tell you how much it is actually going to cost.

It reads like an outline for a TV gameshow to me...

It looks a bit iffy to me, we all know the time and effort required to obtain the details mentioned.

I note their spelling is a bit out and that they offer " ...... THE OPPORTUNITY TO BYE REPLICA BADGES, CAP BADGES AND MEDALS WORN BY THE SOLDIER DURING THE GREAT WAR "

I think " BYE " is the way I would go.

He also asks for 17.5% VAT to be added to the final amount. Wonder why?

Wouldn't he be better selling this as a 'Buy It Now' service?

I don't know which medal cards they are referring to:

COPIES OF MEDAL CARDS (WHICH GIVES A LOT OF INFORMATION ABOUT HIS SERVICE HISTORY, MEDICAL CONDITIONS, PERSONAL BELONGINGS, DESCRIPTION OF THE SOLDIER AND FAMILY MEMBERS SUCH AS PARENTS AND SIBLINGS

Mick

Buyer beware, as in any transaction. But why not sell research services this way? Just a few comments on the offer, if you are looking at it:

A PHOTO OF THE CEMETERY (WORLD WIDE)

Available free of charge at the Commonwealth War Graves website, in most cases

A WAR DIARY FROM THE DAY THAT THE SOLDIER WAS KILLED OR WOUNDED

Fair enough, if you know when he was wounded - and how would you if his papers do not exist

MAP (IF THERE IS ONE)

There is always a map covering an action

COPIES OF PERSONAL PAPERS AND DOCUMENTS (IF THEY HAVE SURVIVED AFTER THE PUBLIC RECORD OFFICE WAS BOMBED IN 1940 BY THE GERMANS)

Well it wasn't the Public Record Office but apart from that, fine

COPIES OF MEDAL CARDS (WHICH GIVES A LOT OF INFORMATION ABOUT HIS SERVICE HISTORY, MEDICAL CONDITIONS, PERSONAL BELONGINGS, DESCRIPTION OF THE SOLDIER AND FAMILY MEMBERS SUCH AS PARENTS AND SIBLINGS

Medal index cards do not give any of this information!!!

Pity, don't suppose they miracles??? :P

There's a couple of men I've been trying to research for over a year and virtually none of there info survived the Blitz. If they can provide it, I'll pay 'em a packet :lol:

Les.

I dont think you can charge VAT unless that business has turned over a certain amount of money so he is obviously having a good try, and out for every penny. Any ideas who it could have been ? Who hasnt been around for a while ? Cousin Steven told me he was off to France. mmmmmmmmmmmm ! makes you wonder, wheres Graceland lately, no he would have give the game away by mentioning Elvis :D:D

I just looked at the conter at the bottom of his page and it is at 147. That just goes to show you how much interest there is........

Tom.

Just a thought, maybe eviltaxman might be able to find out if this guy allowed to charge VAT on this transaction. As I live outside England I would not be liable to pay VAT on an English item. This guy does not say that the VAT is only for people in England.

Tom

Tom,

There has been 138 views of this thread on the forum, if all 138 forum members that have had a look at the ebay site. Then this means that only 9 other people have looked on ebay.

Glynn.

I think you would need to be VAT registered in order to openly charge VAT to visitors; otherwise it could get rather serious: falsely claiming VAT, deception etc.

Not that the above applies to the said article on ebay, just a general point about taxation, for one must trust in the good faith of the vendor. In this case, I must assume that he is a professional researcher and/or businessman if he is advertising a VAT rate.

Richard

you are so innocent :D i think it has already been pointed out that it could be the not quite the full monty.

anyway the VAT thing means he must be in europe or the eec as we are the only fools which put up with that stupid tax

Wearing My RBL Hon PAO hat for a Moment,the statement regarding the Laying of a RBL Poppy Wreath is suspect,as we{the RBL~We} are NOT allowed to ask for a donation for laying Wreaths[indeed they can be laid FOC by requesting the service @ The Poppy Appeal HQ],the amount paid in Respect of any Wreath,is @ the discretion of the Donator,although an amount to cover the Production Cost of them is "Suggested",if someone feels that a £1 is enough,then we have to grin & bear i;even though they "Cost" around £15~£20 to make.This advertisers statement would probably contravene X number of Charity Collection laws as well!!! :angry:

A point or two about charging VAT as some of the comments above are slightly misleading. I am personally registered for VAT and live with this every day.

- You cannot charge VAT unless you are registered for such.

- You can register for VAT even if your business turnover does not exceed the threshold where you must register. It's your choice below the threshold.

- If you are based in the UK, you do not charge VAT to non-EU countries unless the service is consumed within the UK - (not quite as simple as that but too long to explain).

- Non European Union countries also have a VAT-type tax (eg Australia).

I think enough warnings have been given about this chap! I am sure we have all got the message.

Evening all.

I have just set up a new company,called Gullible R Us.

A Fiver to join,and £20 an hour,after,for searching the CWGC website,this website,and any other,WW1,website i can find,to get you some real evidence,on how your relation,was KIA.

Why bid on e-bay?

Join Gullible R Us,and save yourself a fortune.

Regards.

Simon.

You only need to look at his Buyers feedback to see that this guy has lots of experience in this field..... :blink:

L.

Its also odd that he does not have 'ask the seller a question'...

I was looking forward to a wind up ..... :(